Keys scratch screen on Retina MacBook Pro??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nomad110, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Nomad110 macrumors member

Hey guys,

Many of you know the issue of the keyboard sometimes scratching or scuffing the screen especially on the glossy version with glass. I heard that the retina display has a thicker rubber gasket compared to the non retina version? Could someone comment on this? I used to use a rad tech cloth in between the keys and the screen. Is that still needed? Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

2. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Not sure but im gonna use a screen cloth just to prevent the oily keys from getting on the screen.

3. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I've never had any scratches from it on pre-unibody or unibody models. Lots of oily squarish marks, though. I suppose if you had really oily, sandy fingers then it might be a problem!

If this news machine has a thicker gasket then great! I carry a small microfiber with me in my bag because it can get annoying. I Rememer reading that the keys on this new model have "less travel". Does that mean they don't require as much of a press as before? So maybe the keys themselves are slightly recessed just enough too?

Having the oily square problem gone forever would be worth the upgrade alone! Haha. Always pissed me off that Apple couldn't engineer their way out of that one. Just make it 1mm thicker guys!

Oh and one other thing—there is supposed to be less glass on the screen now (improves reflections, etc). Maybe the gasket is the same height but there is less glass so it is slightly raised now?

4. wundram macrumors member

Yeah, there is one less layer of glass, so the surface of the screen is about 1mm below the lip of the gasket. So far it has prevented the oil key squares issue for me.

5. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

This is great news. One less thing to fiddle with in the morning!