Keys suddenly changed; how can I change them back

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bakdek1, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Bakdek1 macrumors newbie

I have no idea what happened but somehow the function of some of the keys on the top row on my Macbook Pro keyboard changed. For instance the dashboard key does nothing while the F12 key now shows the dashboard, F11 shows the desktop while F9 does what F3 did before etc.
    I'm certain no fluids were spilt on the keys.
    After I restarted and tried to change them back to the default function in the system preferences window, nothing happened.

How can I restore the defaults?
    Thnx

2. cameronwilby macrumors newbie

cameronwilby

Hey, sorry you had to wait so long, this is really a simple fix.

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Make sure "Use all F1,F2 etc. keys as standard function keys" is unchecked.

There are two ways to configure the function keys, as standard function (Pre Leopard) keys, or as they are now, with the icons on each key doing a specific job.

It's just a backwards compatibility thing that I imagine will be taken out eventually.

3. brodcastink macrumors newbie

I'm having this same problem and checking and unchecking this box aren't helping too much, any other possible solutions? My mouse is also not responding correctly, it moves but doesn't click, so i'm using an external. I can't change my brightness, volume or keyboard brightness etc through using these buttons anymore for some reason. Help appreciated!