iPad Keys-to-Go and smart cover or keyboard folio/cover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mflpf, Mar 6, 2015.

1. mflpf macrumors newbie

I'm planning to add a keyboard to my iPad Air 2 and am debating between keeping it light by going with a smart cover/Keys-to-Go combination or going with a keyboard folio or cover.

Has anyone used both and if so, which do you prefer?

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Personal opinion only: I've done the keyboard cover route with Logitech's Ultrathin, and I wouldn't do it again. For me, using a keyboard case negates the entire advantage of a tablet--being able to easily hold a lightweight device in one hand for casual use. The Ultrathin had to be removed to use comfortably if I was doing anything other than typing, and from an ergonomic standpoint, it put the iPad too close to the keys (and my hands) to allow for a comfortable viewing position that didn't involve sitting with my chin down constantly while typing. Some keyboard cases also don't allow you to choose between portrait and landscape while typing...but those that do are often heavier and bulkier than those that don't. If I'm going to put up with that kind of inconvenience, I'll drag out my tiny HP laptop instead, because as much as I adore my iPad, the laptop is capable of more.

That said, the laptop rarely gets used nowadays. I do a fairly extensive amount of writing (including a 90K+ word count book) on the go with an iPad and a detached Bluetooth keyboard. The advantage of this setup is that when I'm finished writing, I toss the keyboard back into my bag and have my nice, light tablet ready for gaming, surfing, reading a book, or most any other use. I can use my iPad as it was designed to be used, without the added bulk and discomfort of having a keyboard wrapped around the back side of the thing, and without having to swap to a different case when the keyboard isn't needed. There are some cases where the keyboard detaches, leaving a back shell on the iPad, but if I'm going to do that, I figure I might as well just go with a detached keyboard anyway. Plus, this way, I can push the iPad back from the keyboard and sit in a better position while typing. I actually carry a small stand (no longer available) that raises the iPad up from the table an inch or so for better viewing angle, and when on my desk at home, I use a stand that puts it at monitor height.

And HUGE advantage of this setup over a keyboard case: I don't have to repurchase it when I switch devices. Even if I switch from the Mini to an Air, or the possible Pro. Even (gasp) if I move to an Android based tablet.

Disadvantages? Forgetting to bring the keyboard along. And it's a bit tougher to use in your lap without some maneuvering. This setup does work best with a flat surface to set the iPad up on; though I have used it for lap typing in a pinch, it's way less than ideal. Most of the time though, if I'm not going to be at a table or desk, I'll use the onscreen keyboard instead.

I have the Keys To Go & love it for the most part. It's amazingly thin and lightweight. It does have a couple of weird quirks--typing on fabric takes some getting used to!--but it's a very useful device overall. I do recommend trying one in person, or buying from somewhere with a good return policy in case you don't like it. Really, there's so many good portable Bluetooth keyboards out there at this point, it's not hard to find one you'll enjoy using.

3. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Just bought the Keys To Go yesterday and I'm typing this reply with it. Typing on the fabric skin needs some time to get used to but overall this keyboard is super light and thin and I'm so far very satisfied with it!

4. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Agree with IrishVixen's post ... My own experience also.

As I use my iPads for so many things as well as writing and in different locations, I have several options. The best for writing for me is a Hoverbar positioned at eye level with Keys To Go.

Or, the hover bar attached to imac when using the computer for writing and the iPad for notes/research/Internet.

In cafes, where I am not writing a book but might be writing emails, notes or browsing etc, I like the keyboard cases ... zagg keys pro on ipad4, Logitech ultra thin on iPad Air. But I only take them in these cases when I'll be doing more keyboard work than browsing, otherwise just the iPad with Smart Cover.

I have smart covers for both, I would never put a smart case on an iPad, making it heavy and bulky.