Keys Touch Glass on MBP Late 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeMayer, Oct 28, 2008.

1. MikeMayer macrumors newbie

MikeMayer

So I turned the backlighting off and saw some marks on my screen that was kind of unfortunate.

My MBP is perfect other than the fact that my keys touch the glass when closed...

Is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone recommend a safe solution to protect my glass/keys?

Thanks!

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Do you still have the plastic foam keyboard cover that came with your new MBP? I wouldn't really worry about it though, as the keyboard won't likely damage the glass screen, unless there is some kind of sand or other glass scratching compound stuck to them.

Do you have a large bag that is causing the screen to be pressed into the keys? My previous generation MacBook (plastic) had this problem as my camera bag had the laptop sleeve on the back, near my own back, causing all the weight in the bag (and pressure from straps) to pull the everything against the laptop.

[​IMG]

3. MikeMayer thread starter macrumors newbie

MikeMayer

cleaning cloth

I have the cleaning cloth the laptop came with- fair enough way to protect the screen?

4. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Is it recommended to leave that foam keyboard cover on the keys when you close the MBP for transport...or is it fine to just close it & put it in your bag w/o it? Unless thats the norm I really can't see myself dragging a foam kybrd cover around all the time.

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I don't think it is recommended per se, but it is an option for the OP if it is something that they worry about. The other option is to place the cleaning cloth on the keyboard before you close the lid.

[​IMG]

6. jsamuelson macrumors member

jsamuelson

I use Screensavrz which are awesome and seem to last forever.

Highly recommended to avoid scratches and gunk being transferred to your screen when closed.

Plus they make an awesome cleaning cloth.

My iPhone (no case) sits on it beside my machine (when open and being used) to avoid scratching the back.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its glass so I doubt there will be any damage, as opposed to a softer matte surface. Just wipe it off and go.

8. ethen macrumors regular

I use iklear to clean mine up, i got small scratches on my new mbp already :p

9. MikeMayer thread starter macrumors newbie

MikeMayer

I ordered one. Thank you!

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

My friend has that. They are expensive for what you get, but if you don't have time to select a material you like and cut it to fit your laptop, this is the way to go.

I had a synthetic chamois that I purchased from my autoparts store (the cloth kind) which I used for my old white MacBook keyboard. It cost me $4.00 (no shipping), and the leftovers made really good screen and laptop wipes.

[​IMG]