Keys touch screen when closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c1phr, Apr 2, 2011.

  1. c1phr, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

    c1phr macrumors 6502

    Jan 8, 2011
    I've searched both Google and Mroogle and only found one other person having the same issue (link below).

    Basically, when I close the lid of my MBP, I believe the keys are touching the glass of the screen. I don't put anything on top of my Mac, so there is no way that I could be pushing down on the screen.

    I noticed this by seeing smudges on the screen in a perfect square of a key, mostly along the middle row. I've cleaned it in the past suspected it was just normal grime from the screen getting touched or anything else, but I've noticed it comes back.

    It's really annoying, and I would like to get this fixed if it isn't normal (and I feel it really shouldn't be). Would you guys try getting it repaired at an Apple store? I just got the machine in Feb, and I first noticed the issue as early as a week after having the machine.

    Thread I found of similar issue:

    Edit: Just looked a little closer and my middle row keys are slightly imperfect compared to the rest. Keys seem to be angled to one side or the other, and not level as with the rest of the keys.
  2. davmcn macrumors regular

    Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think it's normal, go to Apple and demand a replacement or a fix for it.
  3. gchhour macrumors member

    Jul 6, 2010
    I would get that checked out by Apple, it may be a manufacturing defect. I guess you could put a piece of paper like a paper towel or something when you close your Macbook that way the keys wont scratch up on the screen.
  4. MaxMike macrumors 6502

    Dec 6, 2009
    Is this really a cause for concern? The past 3 laptop's I've owned all showed marks on the screen from the keyboard. Is it actually worth bringing it to the Genius Bar to get examined?
  5. ender land macrumors 6502a

    Oct 26, 2010
    My keys appear to also touch the screen in my late 2010 13" mbp.

    Is this not normal? I often find the screen with relatively obviously keyboard smudges. I'd always assumed that all laptops do this as all I have had in teh past had done so.
  6. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

    Jun 30, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I think it's normal. Every apple laptop I have had has this problem. I started to keep the thin foam sheet it's shipped with and always place it on the keys before the notebook is closed. It has resolved the problem you mentioned.
  7. bizzle macrumors 6502a

    Jun 29, 2008
    Let's start a class action lawsuit!
  8. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

    Jun 30, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I'm me know when the money is handed out. ;)
  9. c1phr thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 8, 2011
    That's mainly why I was asking. This is my first Mac so I wasn't sure if it was to be expected or if there was an issue that I should look into getting resolved.
  10. KGWVU macrumors regular


    Jun 15, 2010
    I'm pretty sure this is normal. My keys touch on my late 2010 15"
  11. ender land macrumors 6502a

    Oct 26, 2010
    Not to mention that slight pressure on the top of the laptop will push it together.
  12. Tonepoet macrumors regular

    Nov 11, 2010
    I don't think mine touch but I have the antiglare screen which doesn't have the glass making it recessed further back and has a smallish rubber seal around the lid in addition. I wouldn't imagine it's normal but then again I don't really know how you'd even check for such a thing. Is it closing right? What does it feel like when you close it?

    If you end up going this route for whatever reason, say if it's just too much hassle to deal with Apple over such a minute detail, a macbook pro silicone keyboard protector might work better. While they're not super thick, I think it's just soft, dense and rubbery enough to keep the keys from scratching the glass if they're at all capable of doing so. Since they're molded to the shape of the keys they'll be relatively secure and because they're designed to be typed with, you'll never have to take it off too.

    You can buy 'em relatively cheap off of a place like amazon and while I don't think the standard size is enough to guard against major spills (I think it'd seep under), you'll have super cool awesome bonus drip protection! Additionally it makes cleaning much easier too, since the actual keyboard should never be exposed to the elements, you'd just take the cover itself off and wash it. While they come in a variety of colors, I'd highly recommend a getting clear one so you can retain unhindered use of the backlit keyboard. Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think one size fits all unibody Macbook Pros, right?

    At any rate, here's the one I ordered for reference. The appearance is kinda hard to describe but if I had to try, I'd say it gives the keys a look that's sorta similar to that of frosted glass, 'cept not quite so pronounced.
  13. six.four macrumors 6502

    Oct 24, 2008
    screen touching the keyboard is normal - especially with screens that are flush with the bezel. pretty much no way around it unless the keyboard is further recessed into the chassis.

    even with laptops where the screens aren't flush - plastic lids flex a significant amount to where the keyboard will touch the screen.

    for unibody macbook pros however, have fantastic scratch resistant glass. though I've seen several dirty screens from keyboard-screen contact, I've never actually seen noticeable damage to a screen from the keyboard touching the screen.

    to damage the screen would require a tremendous amount of pressure on the top lid.

    that said, if you're really concerned, a small cloth or keyboard cover will ease your mind.
  14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

    Apple OC

    Oct 14, 2010
  15. kappaknight macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2009
    The keys have been touching the screens since the late 2008 Unibodies. This is pretty normal. For whoever suggested you take it to the Genius bar - don't be that guy. Stop trolling these forums with the lame, standard response.
  16. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816


    Oct 17, 2008
    I wanna say something so bad, but I won't. I'll just say; you'll be okay.
  17. c1phr thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 8, 2011
    If it's normal, that's fine by me, I'll just deal with the marks. I just wanted to ensure that it wasn't a problem. I'll probably end up looking into one of those keyboard guards at some point, but I've been considering a Ghost Armor protector for the screen first (have one on my Zune and phone and love them both).
  18. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816


    Oct 17, 2008
    I used a keyboard guard for awhile, it makes it worse. Just get a good microfiber and give your screen a good blow and wipe, it does wonders. From time to time I get "grit" on my screen and I actually use my fingers to rub it off. Finger prints are very easy to remove from glass.
  19. Jmouse macrumors 6502

    Mar 14, 2011
    On my stock 2010 mbp, i HAVENT notice any key smudges on my screen glass and im very fussy about cosmetics.

    I use a rubber/silicon keyboard protector from my g4 While im using the laptop , when im not i simply take the keyboard off and put it aside, and when i need to use the keyboard again i put it back on.

    I personally thinks that most of the silicon rubber keyboard cover will leave smudges on the screen glass over time. how thin does that cover has to be to not really touching the glass.
  20. sandylp macrumors 6502


    Jul 10, 2004
    San Francisco Bay Area
    With the middle keys being slightly angled to one side, is NOT normal. Also, I never noticed this happening to my previous 13 inch or the 15 inch that I have now. Since you just got it in Feb, it's still under warranty and it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out. In the meantime, use a protector laid over the keys when you close it. I use one from Radtech. It's thin enough so it doesn't interfere with the lid being closed.

Share This Page