Keys Wearing Off

PK!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
I just got my Macbook Pro (13", 2.26 GHz) three weeks ago, and the keys are already wearing through and getting shiny. It's not a live or die situation, it's just really frustrating that the paint on the keyboard can't last longer than a few weeks.

Is this common with this model? Has anyone else had this problem?
Or am I just using my Macbook Pro way too much?
Will Apple replace them? (I don't have AppleCare as of right now!)

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
I just got my Macbook Pro (13", 2.26 GHz) three weeks ago, and the keys are already wearing through and getting shiny. It's not a live or die situation, it's just really frustrating that the paint on the keyboard can't last longer than a few weeks.

Is this common with this model? Has anyone else had this problem?
Or am I just using my Macbook Pro way too much?
Will Apple replace them? (I don't have AppleCare as of right now!)
Are the letters wearing off or do you mean the shiny spots that develop when keys wear over time? Mine wore shiny in two weeks and it's not oil as I have cleaned it well. Seems the plastic isn't real durably finished.

If the letters were wearing off I'd raise hell for sure.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Keys getting shiny from usage is normal. My MBP started doing this especially on the space bar a few weeks after I purchased it. I refuse to get a keyboard protector.

It's even happened on an HP laptop.

It's happened on my iMac keyboard as well as a 2007 MBP and a black MacBook so yeah I guess it's pretty normal.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Has anyone actually worn the silkscreening/alphabets/symbols totally off the keys, or just "shiny"? Curious because I do have shiny and I have used keyboards in the past till the letters on them disappeared! :eek: