Keystrokes are different in NeoOffice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jshelton, Nov 25, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I am having trouble getting comfortable with NeoOffice. One of the problems is the Tab key. I enter a lot of data in spreadsheets. I enter something, quickly tab over, enter something else, tab over, etc.

When I enter text, the spreadsheet gives a suggestion. In Excel, the suggestion is accepted once I tab over. With this program, tabbing just switches between all of the suggestions. To move to the next cell, I have to use the right arrow key. Is there a way around this?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I don't use NeoOffice. But, what you need is a way to reassign the function of the Tab key. Have you explored NeoOffice's preferences?

Having to hold down Cmd or Option (and I'm not saying those will work for you) is just as much of a change of habit for you as using the arrow keys. But, since the arrow keys work, use 'em. You'll get used to it, eventually.

3. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the comments! The main problem with using the arrow keys is, when I press ENTER, the cursor doesn't return to the cell I started from. When you use TAB in Office, it sends you back to the original cell that you started typing in. With the arrow keys, it just drops down a cell. Make sense?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, taken separately, both of your posts make sense. I'm having trouble putting them together. They seem contradictory.

Anyway, did you check in the preferences to see if you can customize the Tab key? Is there a NeoOffice Help in the Help Menu, or did it come with a Help file? There doesn't seem to be a NeoOffice user looking in today. :(