Keystrokes within dialogue box in Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iChief, Jun 30, 2007.

1. iChief macrumors member

iChief

What the hell has happened to the dialogue box in the Tiger upgrade?

I recently upgraded from Panther and I must say I like a lot of the new features, especially Spotlight. But I can no longer choose Don't Save within a dialogue box by pressing the Space Bar. I can select Save (glowing blue aqua) with the Enter key, and Cancel with the Esc button. However, Don't Save is not outlined (with a faint blue aqua type line) anymore. I can't even select it with a judicious press of the Tab key.

Please tell me what's going on. I'm a power user and I LOVE my keyboard shortcuts as I work on an iBook and am awaiting delivery of my MacBook Pro.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It seems that you're relying on the full keyboard access stuff. You can toggle it on or off using Ctrl-F7. You can check its state under System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse icon, Keyboard Shortcuts tab, bottom of the window.

Regardless of that setting, apple-D should work for Don't Save anywhere that uses the standard dialog.

3. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

Thanks so much iMeowbot, I must agree with your MacRumors rating. You ARE a demi-god!!! ;)

I must have enabled that function in System Prefs over 3 years ago when I first switched but had forgotten. Unless it was the default setting on Panther because I don't remember doing it.

Anyhoo, I'm super happy now. Especially now that I have got no gripes with Tiger. Woohoo !!!

Now that I've resolved my issue, is there a way I can inform the moderators so that I'm not taking up valuable forum space? I mean, I don't need any more responses now that everything's hunky dory :D

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Thanks ;)
    They can always be reached with the triangular icons on the left, but threads like this are normally kept around since they might be useful to someone else with the same questions. Besides, it's nice to see the occasional sign that there is more to Apple than phones :D

5. s7on3d macrumors newbie

Just so you guys know, I just had the same problem and found this thread within 10 seconds... Thanks a ton!
    Now for an additional question - the darn ctrl+F7 doesn't work... I can change it manually in the keyboard settings menu, but pressing the shortcut has no effect... Any advice?

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Huh. May have to mess with the fn key if you're on a notebook. Is there a "to change this setting" blurb at the bottom of that Keyboard & Mouse window saying to use anything different?

7. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

I totally agree with your comment about the iPhone :p I couldn't find an answer to my problem in the threads, that's why I started this new thread. That's not to say this question hasn't already been raised, it's just that I couldn't find it amongst all the search results that were included from the Phone forum. Is there an advanced search where you can preclude results from a specific forum?

8. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

I'm glad to see that this thread was of use to somebody else. It proves, rather quickly, iMeowbot's point about threads being of use to others.

I wonder did you have to wade through tons of search results that mainly included threads about the iPhone? I live in Ireland so the hype hasn't reached us yet, TG!!!

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah. If you click on the Search thing on the gray bar (just below where the iPhone tab is :p), you'll find an Advanced Search link under there which lets you pick the sections to scan (the usual shift-click and apple-click stuff works to select more than one area). Direct link for bookmarking.