KGI: Apple Developing High-End Over-Ear Headphones, Launching Late 2018 at the Earliest

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a new research note outlining his expectations for Apple's "acoustic accessories" pipeline, claiming the company is working on both updated AirPods and "own-brand, high-end over-ear headphones" with an "all-new design." The new over-ear headphones are said to debut in the fourth quarter of this year at the earliest.
    [​IMG]
    Beats Studio3 Wireless and current AirPods

Kuo's prediction on upgraded AirPods follows a similar report just a few days ago from Bloomberg. Kuo says the new AirPods should launch in the second half of this year.
    Beyond this year's update for the AirPods, Bloomberg claimed this week that Apple is working on a subsequent AirPods update that would bring water resistance to the earphones, but that model wouldn't arrive until 2019 at the earliest.

Article Link: KGI: Apple Developing High-End Over-Ear Headphones, Launching Late 2018 at the Earliest

2. akfgpuppet macrumors regular

akfgpuppet

3. Goldfrapp, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Name ideas:

iEars
    eyeEars
    AirPods Plus
    AirPods Max
    Maxi Pods
    Beaten to Dreath
    Head iPhones

4. typographer macrumors newbie

Apple, can you focus little bit more back on Macintosh?

5. Col4bin, Feb 24, 2018

Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Called it.

(Would gladly post links to a few posts I created on this very subject when Apple first announced its acquisition of Beats. If anyone knows how to search old posts on this site, do tell. Thanks.)

6. MICHAELSD, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Apple can truly revolutionize this space, and I believe they have the potential to do so. If I manufactured headphones right now I would be very scared.

7. SoApple macrumors regular

If they’re noise cancelling those over ear will be very interesting!

8. otozuz macrumors member

Damn, I'm deciding which headphones to buy and now I see this! :mad::D

9. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

"High-end" means what, exactly? I guess we'll find out :)

10. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

I can't wait for more "audiophile" complaints. How dare they call something high end if it doesn't cost more than $10,000

11. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502

Internet Enzyme

I would be absolutely shocked if these could hold a candle to my audio technica ath m50x’s. And of course, we cant forget that they would presumably cost twice as much, too.

12. jecowa macrumors member

I'd rather have a more affordable pair of over-the-ear headphones. We already have an expensive option; I'm not interested in a new even-more-expensive option. I want some decent over-the-ear headphones with a magic Apple sound/bluetooth chip thing (W1 or W2 etc).

13. Soccertess macrumors 65816

interesting to say the least.. I wonder what they will do with beats, and how they will position it against beat headphones. Any chance they will discontinue them? Or just never update them and let them die off like they do with products Tim doesn't want to focus on.... Mac Mini, Mac Pro (cheap shot I know),....

Before Apple bought beats, Beats was heavily advertising, especially with pro athletes. I don't see them doing that anymore since Apple's acquisition. I wonder if their sales are down or if the acquisition was just a bridge to enter a market, and remove a powerful competitor in Apple's quest for world dominance.

14. Eduardo75890 macrumors regular

Eduardo75890

Yet Audiophiles love the sound quality out of the HomePod and they only cost almost 400$

15. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

M50x really isn’t that great. It’s mid-fidelity at best.

If they provide truly high-end sound Apple’s offering will sound way better. I think they have the team established to create the best wireless headphone on the market.

16. SRLMJ23, Feb 24, 2018

SRLMJ23 macrumors 68000

SRLMJ23

So now Apple is either going to kill of Beats or fragment their brand even more by creating Apple branded headphones.

My guess, however, is they will keep beats as the "cheaper" option and the Apple branded over-ear headphones will be the high end, super expensive option.

I have Beats Studio 2's and AirPods, and am pretty damn happy with both of them. Time will tell what is going to happen...

:apple:

17. 19callum93 macrumors regular

19callum93

Let’s be real here. By going by apple’s recent track record, we won’t see these in 2018. No doubt they will be delayed, like pretty much every product they announce.

18. SRLMJ23 macrumors 68000

SRLMJ23

Agree 100%.

"Late 2018" to Apple really means "Early 2019" which really means "Mid 2019." Ohhh Apple, you cannot fool us, haha.

:apple:

19. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502

Internet Enzyme

Rtings.com is a website that objectively tests frequency response, soundstage, imaging, and loads of other critical criteria that affect sound quality. Here’s there review of the m50x: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/audio-technica/ath-m50x-professional-monitor . Now here’s the highest rated headphone on their site: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-800-s-reference-hd800s . One of those costs $1400 and the other costs $150. According to their review, the sennheisers have worse bass and mid reproduction, and more harmonic distortion than the m50x! Where they win is in soundstage, imaging, and treble. The m50x’s are not just an incredible value, they’re an incredible set of headphones outright.

20. truthertech macrumors 65816

They recently came out with new MacBooks, new iMac, new iMac Pro, and are working on the new Mac Pro. Other than Mac mini, what exactly would you consider "focusing" on the Mac?

21. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

22. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

This makes sense Apple have released AirPods which are great (I love mine) and are very popular they have also released HomePod which also sounds great (again love mine use it daily) creating a set of over the ear headphones would fit nicely in that catagory.

After hearing the AirPods and HomePod Apple’s audio department has some real talent, I’m excited to see what they come up with for over the ear headphones, that’s if this rumour is indeed true o_O

23. mistasopz macrumors regular

Knowing Apple, it'll probably cost $600, be wireless only, only work with Apple products, and have some kind of Siri invoking feature... so I don't think other manufacturers are shaking in their boots just yet.

24. wankey macrumors 6502a

Why would they? Mac's are incredibly complicated devices that have tons and tons of moving parts. Headphones are simple pieces that have huge markups and way more purchases.

25. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

People who claim to be audiophiles still bitch and complain about the HomePod constantly. Most of them have never even heard it.