iPad Pro KHOMO iPad Pro 10.5 inch case (rubberized) vs. CTsing, used with ASK

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by LibbyLA, Jul 8, 2017.

1. LibbyLA macrumors regular

KHOMO iPad Pro 10.5 Inch Case - DUAL Purple Super Slim Cover with Rubberized back and Smart Feature (Built-in magnet for sleep / wake feature) For Apple iPad Pro 10.5 Inches Tablet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MJXGFJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CTsing iPad Pro 10.5 Case, CTsing Smart Case Trifold Stand with Auto Sleep Wake Function Microfiber Lining Hard Back Cover for Apple iPad Pro 10.5 inch(2017 Model)_ Black (although I got blue):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FW41FY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First, I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the photos, but there's a limit to how much time I'm willing to spend on this. There are better photos on Amazon but these at least show the main points that I'm concerned about.

Second, the "gold standard" for back covers for me is the Apple silicone cover on my iPP 9.7. For me, it's the perfect feel and fit.

I started with the CTsing case in blue, cut off the cover, and used a Dremel to modify the bottom edge to accommodate the ASK.

I like the way that the edge of the case is an even width that overlaps the front of the iPad, covering the edges, even on the corners. It gives the iPad with case a "finished" look. Because the case is flexible, though, the overlapped edge is very easily moved when handling the iPad. It's more annoying or distracting than anything. There's no danger of the cover coming off.

CTsing02.jpg

CTsing03.jpg
    CTsing04.jpg

The power button and volume buttons are covered by the case, which seems like a good thing, but the cover is stiffer than the Apple cover, making the buttons a little harder to press. There is a cutout for the Lightning connector rather than a complete opening, but this does not stabilize the cover edge as you might expect. Also, the opening is large enough for the charging cable, but just a hair too small for the connector on the Apple SD card reader. I have to pull the edge of the cover up a little to accommodate that connector. It's a little annoying but not a deal breaker.

I have just gotten the KHOMO case with the rubberized backing. I bought the one with the cover rather than just the back case because the one with the cover specifically mentions being rubberized and it comes in purple, unlike the back cover only version.The purple is a nice medium shade or purple, a little dusty.

The KHOMO case feels like it has slighly more texture. The difference is subtle. The KHOMO case is stiffer, but that makes the edges more stable. They don't shift when handled like the edges of the CTsing case do. There are cutouts for the power and volume controls, which means that you don't have to push harder but it also means there are more places for dirt to enter. The Lightning port is a complete opening even on the top edge so there is no problem plugging in the SD card reader. That opening does not seem to destabilize the edges of the cover at all. They are more solidly in place than those of the CTsing case.

The biggest "botheration" for me is the openness of the case corners. They do not cover the edges of the screen. The middle parts of the case edges do cover the screen but it bugs me that the case edge width isn't even. The edges probably are designed that way to make it easier to install and remove the cover because the cover is a bit stiffer than the CTsing.

Also, there is a little gap between the case edge and the ASK attachment. Minor, but that bugs me, too.

Khomo01.jpg
    Khomo02.jpg

(KHOMO cover is still attached and visible below ASK)

Khomo03.jpg

I will probably keep and modify the KHOMO case since it didn't cost that much.

Oh, neither back cover is lined.

Hope this info helps someone. Neither is the perfect case, both have strengths and weaknesses, but until Apple releases a silicone cover (if they ever do), either of these are more than acceptable to me.

2. LibbyLA thread starter macrumors regular

I have been using the Khomo case since last night and I prefer the way it feels when I hold it. The back is slightly softer and has a little more "tooth." I also prefer the firmer edge. It doesn't shift or move under my thumb when I'm holding the iPad in landscape mode.