Kicking a user off airtunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dphall, Feb 14, 2009.

1. dphall macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've got an airport express connected to some speakers in the living room, stream itunes to this from my macbook and everything works beautifully. My flatmate recently bought a macbook, and occasionally does this same. Perfectly happy for him to do this (I don't want or need to password airtunes), but sometimes he goes out and forgets to stop his itunes from streaming to airport express. This obviously means I can't use it at that time! Is there any way to kick his macbook off airport express without resetting the airport express? His macbook is passworded so can't just wander into his room and turn off his itunes!

Thanks v much for any help!

Dave

2. TheJayWay macrumors member

Can't you just shut down iTunes and then restart? I know that that will remove all streaming listeners, as thats what happens when I disconnect my MBP in dorm.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

Not the same problem, referring to airtunes, not sharing music libraries.
    ---------------

how is the signal getting from your roommates laptop to the express?
    (examples of what i mean)
    -direct wireless from express to laptop
    -wireless to other base station then wireless to express

If you can interrupt the connection, (unplugging an ethernet cable somewhere) you might be able to close the connection between his laptop and the express. although it might take a while for the express to realize it's lost the conncection.

otherwise, just close his laptop, it will go to sleep, and stop the streaming, if he bitches just tell him to make sure he stops iTunes before he leaves.

4. dphall thread starter macrumors newbie

The airport express is only set up for airtunes (rather than as a wireless bridge or anything like that), so I guess the signal is going via my wireless router than on to airport express (I could be wrong though). I can't find any settings (or help online), but wondered if any clever people had an apple script for something like this?

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

so the express is set "up to join an existing network"?
    you could try rebooting the router also, but that really doesn't get you much over rebooting the express.

just close the lid on his laptop.

6. michael gavriel macrumors newbie

Not sure if anyone's found a fix for this, it's sort of a tough problem to search for.

I was thinking "Overriding airtunes peer" haha ... i guess "Kicking off" works too.

Anyway, hoped we could revisit this. I would like to be able to take over airtunes from a peer as well...

thanks

7. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

I'm also interested in this. Maybe Apple needs to release a software update that will allow a master password to reset the airtunes when someone forgets to disconnect it. Any thoughts?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You could launch the AirPort Utility and change the password on your Airport Express. That should boot off any connected computers when the AE resets. Then you can change it back. I know it's a pain, but at least it would get it accomplished.