Kicking roommates off wireless makes internet super fast

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by dpaanlka, Dec 3, 2008.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I've been trying to pinpoint exactly what is causing our internet or our wireless network to get super slow after a few hours of any restarting of the router. I noticed that when I kick my roommates off the network it goes super fast, but once I let them on it gets extra slow after awhile.

What might be causing this? What should I be looking for on their systems that might be the cluprit? Or my own?

It's a Netgear WGR614 v6 Router.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Is your roommate using something like BitTorrent or another P2P app on his computer? That'll kill your connection speed in no time.

3. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I don't think it's a roommate. I have this very same router and had problems with it until recently when I updated the firmware. It would go suddenly go very slow and sometimes even drop out. No problems now that I've updated.

edit: Firmware downloads are in the left sidebar of this page.
    edit 2: Before the upgrade, using two wireless devices at once usually made the router go down.

4. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Thanks, I thought I was going crazy because I think I checked out my roommates' computers pretty darn good and didn't find anything like BitTorrent running. At home I have an Airport Extreme N base station and never have any such problems.

I went to download the latest firmware but Netgear's website but it says for my v6 router I already have the latest firmware and that I cannot download anything higher than v6.

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Try logging into your router. Under the left sidebar, click "Router Status". Near the top it will tell you the firmware version. See if it says "V2.0.19_1.0.19NA ". That will tell you for certain if you're running the latest firmware. I've had it tell me weird things before when I upgraded. But if it is the latest, you've just got a faulty router that craps out when too many people get on it.

6. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yup V2.0.19_1.0.19NA