Kickstarter for Jony Ive to learn Design 101?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samiznaetekto, Oct 14, 2014.

1. samiznaetekto, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

I stop by Apple store every time when I'm passing it by at the mall. Just to hold iPhone 6 in my hand and think in disbelief, "How it can be so F ugly?! Is this the same Apple I used to love and immerse 100% in its ecosystem?!" I look at those candlewax antenna bands, boring rounded rectangle, cheap looking curved plasticky screen, ugly and buggy iOS... shake my head and walk out the store while a tear slowly rolls down my cheek.

So why don't we start a Kickstarter project to send Jony Ive to some Design 101 course at some college? Pay for his tuition in hope he learns the basics of good design. Maybe then he can create a good design for iPhone - or at least, imitate the modern design of Android and Windows phones, like M8, Note 4, Z3, etc.

Whatch'all think? :D

iPhone 6:

[​IMG]

Modern phones:

[​IMG]

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Well, the antenna bands do look waxy, and the OS is buggy, so can't tell if serious. If the smiley face at the end of your creative writing assignment means sarcasm, maybe it's you who needs kickstarter to fund a writing class. Mark Twain didn't need no stinkin' smiley faces.

OTOH, if you're serious, just remember Jony Ive can design circles around you and me and everyone here. So says millions of current iPhone 6 owners, and half of China.

3. wxman2003 Suspended

His designs are so bad that Apple is selling record numbers of the 6 and 6 plus. Blowing out past releases by a mile. The note 4 is ugly. They actually painted the sides. The Z3 looks like a brick with ugly sharp edges. Perhaps Sony and Samsung need to take design classes as those are 2 ugly dogs.

4. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I'm assuming this is sarcasm...

My iPhone 6 looks better then any windows phone. I personally like it much better then the M8 or Note 4. I do like the LGG3, but still like the 6 design better

And IMHO, the iPhone 6 and 6+ is much much better then the 5/5s...

5. BigMike1 macrumors newbie

I am incredibly curious of what you think is a good design?

6. stasha macrumors 6502

You must be kidding hard, the iphone looks like the spyder porsche while other looks like that one i dont know the name

7. wxman2003 Suspended

8. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

I have no major issue with the looks of iPhone. Despite that Apple clearly should've used a different material for the iphone, or use different color for the antenna band as well as no pretending camera. Those I can live with.

my issue is with Apple Watch, that thing is ugly

9. cababah macrumors 68000

Even if the iPhone 6 is a slight step back in design, he's hit far more home runs than strike outs. Let's take that into consideration before discrediting the guy.

But I'm sure the OP could design a better phone blindfolded....

10. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 6 design is in a class of its own. Not sure why you would want to model after the Note 4, considering they took the design off of the iPhone 5 and stuck a fake, fake leather (or plastic) back on it.

11. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Come on... the iPhone 6 could have been encased in wet-look faux leopardskin and still have presold the same number of units. The æsthetics of the thing has very little impact on sales to iphonophiles.

That's a really ugly Porsche, btw.

12. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

13. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

OP, you do better. Post your own original sketches that proves you know more than Jonny.

If not then enjoy his work or someone else's.

14. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I like the look of the new iPhone. Ive gets an A+ from me in that regard. He gets a big fat F for the look of ios7/8 and the Apple Watch looks awful.

15. 617aircav Suspended

Why not start a kickstarted for yourself and see if you can can 100 of anything. These threads just keep coming out of the asylum.

16. indognito macrumors newbie

After using my 6 since the initial rollout, and upgrading from the 4s, these are the things that are irking me design-wise:

- power button on the opposite side of the volume buttons
    - ugly antenna bands
    - protruding camera lens
    - slippery rounded edges

My opinion of Apple's and Ives design sense has definitely gone down. Aside from internal components and screen size the 4s is the superior designed phone.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I was thinking more along the lines of:

[​IMG]

With stylus?

[​IMG]

(And yes, this is real.)

18. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Jony Ive does not need Design 101. He is internationally acclaimed for that discipline. What he needs is Engineering 101 - structural mechanics, strength, dynamics, materials engineering.

19. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

iPhone is a Porsche. Understated, elegant, hasn't really changed it's classic look because it doesn't need to. Top notch performance in every aspect. The standard of excellence.

[​IMG]

Android is like a Dodge Challenger. Big & definitely not understated. Flexes it's muscles at every opportunity. "More for your money" mindset. Thinks the Porsche crowd are nerds.

[​IMG]

20. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

21. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Finally... A perfect analogy!!!

22. Stanick macrumors regular

Stanick

Well yes it's laughable ugly... but apart form that it's a pretty damn good phone.

23. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

24. sheldomacrumors macrumors member

I am not crazy about the new design but I got one so he won.

25. noiceT macrumors 6502a