Kickstarter project- "Voltus" battery + USB 3.0 hub for MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cmagno, May 22, 2015.

1. cmagno, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015

cmagno macrumors newbie

Came across this TechCrunch article about a new Kickstarter project for our rMB's:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/19/voltus-gives-the-12-inch-macbook-a-battery-boost-two-new-usb-ports/

The combination battery + USB hub is pretty attractive and I'm considering backing the Pro model. I was thinking the battery would be nice for traveling, and I need a hub anyway so it would be nice to combine the two. It charges at the full 29W rate and does USB-C passthrough too. Has anyone backed it? Any thoughts?

Edit- here's the Kickstarter link- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/voltus/voltus-mobile-power-expansion-for-your-macbook/

[​IMG]

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

3. cmagno thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't look like they're coming out with a combination battery / hub though, I think that's the main value behind this project.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I think that's precisely what the products I linked to are. But I could be wrong.

5. bmclaurin, May 22, 2015

bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

6. No-Me macrumors 6502a

Yes there is, check the 3rd tab on the Anker site.
    The issue is that the build isn't very nice with Anker products and it only has one USB-C port, The voltus can be powered through USB-C while it's also powering the MacBook, I backed one :)

7. bmclaurin, May 22, 2015

bmclaurin

Nice!! I missed that in the announcement. Not sure what you mean by poor Anker build quality. I've had nothing but top notch stuff from them in the past.

8. cmagno thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like the Anker products are just batteries- no integrated USB hub.

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Could be. I just can't see the utility of having three USB-A ports to power three extra devices (in addition to the rMB). Which is why I'm guessing it's a hub.

And if you look at the short description: "Fast charging, high capacity portable chargers for USB-C devices". You could infer from that that they're not for charging USB-A devices. And then what would the USB-A ports be for if not for hub functionality?

10. bmclaurin, May 22, 2015

bmclaurin

It's hard to tell, but based on the brief product description and photo, it appears you're right. And, as mentioned previously, unlike the Voltus, the Anker appears to only have a single USB-C port, so apparently no pass-through charging. The Voltus Pro looks like a great solution. I decided to back it, so we'll see. Thanks for posting this.

However, I do wish the Voltus was offered in even higher capacities than the Pro model, which is rated at 55 Wh. I currently have the Anker Astro E7 25600mAh 3-Port 4A battery pack, which equates to 128 Wh (about 133% more capacity than the Voltus Pro).

11. cmagno thread starter macrumors newbie

12. JTToft macrumors 68040

- 39.7 Wh.

13. cmagno thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, after running out of battery in the middle of a meeting today, I decided to back the Voltus Pro. Looking forward to trying it out!

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Personally I think it`s overpriced for the functionality, add in HDMI or DP the Voltis would be far more compelling, as it is, it`s just a battery with a USB passthrough.

Q-6

15. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

I finally decided to back this one over the others. Simple design, but with what seems like good functionality.