Kickstarters Pebble: E-Paper Watch

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by labman, Apr 12, 2012.

1. labman macrumors 604

labman

2. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

where's that damn "take my money" graphic when I need it?

4. labman thread starter macrumors 604

labman

here ya go! :p

[​IMG]

oh and I got my 1st official update!

Thanks again to our amazing backers.

When we started this project, we dreamed of making a waterproof smartwatch that could be used for swimming.

With the amazing support that you've given us, we're going to make that dream a reality. We were originally going to make this a milestone at $1mm or something...but you guys are too fast!
    All Pebble watches will be waterproof enough to swim with!

We don't know the exact waterproofness rating yet (ie 3ATM, 5ATM to be confirmed!), and we still have to work on the industrial design for the change. It's not going to be a dive watch, but it should be great for swimmers and people who get wet a lot! (I'm from Vancouver, Canada which is well known for it's rainy climate. I'll use it when I go home!)
    In other news, answers to common q uestions:

Pebble can keep time even when disconnected from your phone. You can also set the time using the buttons if you'd like.
    For color Pebble backers, you get to vote and choose your color option after the Kickstarter project closes (ie after May 17th).
    Pebble's USB cable is custom cable because the watch will be waterproof and can't have a big hole for the regular USB socket. We will be selling extra cables as well.
    Just want to remind everyone that Pebble includes a great strap, but if you'd like to swap it for one of your own, Pebble can accept any standard 22mm watch strap. I loved the photo of the NATO strap on the comments, I'm going to buy one for my Pebble!
    The watch body dimensions are: 5cm x 3cm.
    Pebble doesn't have a speaker or microphone, but it does have a vibrating motor for alerts.

Just wanted to let you know that we've started ordering components for your watches already. We're ordering A LOT more as well, and we'll keep ordering if you keep backing!

Also, we're going to have a major new milestone announcement tomorrow! (sorry for the delay)

Thanks again! And keep the app suggestions in the comments going. We're going to open up a forum pretty shortly.

Eric + Pebble Team

5. parrot5 macrumors 6502

Even though the watch is too large for my wrist, I'll buy/back it if it can intercept/display ALL notifications from the iPhone. Not sure if it is possible with the closed system? I don't need to interact with it, but at least show me all the notification messages. My hunch says it's possible with Android only :(

6. forestplay macrumors newbie

How thick?

I'm hoping it isn't too thick. I want the cool features but don't like a thick watch.

There's a Pebble forum started for discussion of this thing.

-Bob

7. dthree36, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

dthree36 macrumors regular

Due to the closed nature of IOS, you will receive all notifications from 3rd party non apple apps. Looks like Gmail and IMap accounts will push but stuff like Reminders, Texts, Mail, weather, Calendar events, and everything else native IOS will not. I don't know... Seems a bit crippled... but with a jailbroken phone... who knows.

I am intrigued by this watch but have been waiting for the Basis watch. I hate buying something and waiting for it.... looks like October before any one really gets one on their wrist. I may back but am going to think about the true usefulness of this device. I always have my phone on me.... 30ft max for notifications using bluetooth so if I left the area where my phone is at home, i wouldn't get the notification.

The only true feature I like is the display of running info and cycling info as well as iPod controls while exercising. But is that worth the price? Maybe for the backer price but I wonder what retail will be for this once its out there.

8. labman thread starter macrumors 604

labman

based on the sales I bet they double the retail price it's over 5 million now and they were only asking for 100K to start. they have 29 days left. it's already the number 1 kickstarter project as well. going by the sales they hit on something. I'm hoping the jailbreak world can help on the iphone side.. honestly for $125 I thought this would be a fun watch and a attention getter.

9. parrot5 macrumors 6502

I'm gonna sit out this one and wait for version 2. Hopefully with Bluetooth 4.0 and by then there will be more apps.

10. clarabein macrumors newbie

OMG - come to mamma! That watch is amazing. This is my type of thing. 5 million sales?? Why didn't I think of it? Gonna get the red one to match my eyes I think!

11. stevecol macrumors newbie

April 12 update - We're absolutely blown away by your support, Kickstarter. $1M in 28 hours!

Absolutely incredible. I must say I love the golf range finder function - that would be a complete godsend! I am tempted to back it - it looks fantastic

12. chrsb macrumors member

chrsb

That was my reason, I wonder how long it will take the guys to figure out I'm using the watch to tell distance

13. Argentine86 macrumors regular

I backed and waiting for mine in Sept....But!...

I backed and ordered one in black. Bummer was finding out after that it does not support text alerts from iPhone since apple did not allow that information to be passed over Bluetooth. Hopefully it's still cool, but I ordered it for that purpose being a main one :(

14. labman thread starter macrumors 604

labman

I'm hoping the Jailbreak community comes though on the notifications end and maybe other stuff. Maybe Apple decide to allow some integration with it. I'm guessing it will be the Jailbreak community that comes though 1st.