Kidnapped Girl Found

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JML42691, Aug 3, 2008.

1. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

After last week's AMBER alert in MA, kidnapped girl Reigh Rockefeller has been found safely. Her father has been arrested in Baltimore and she was found safely. Here are some links to stories and videos regarding it:

boston.com story

WCVB police video

ABC news story

And I apologize to the mods if this has been posted beforehand, I ran several different searches under different terms and didn't find any threads.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

3. dilailamams macrumors member

kidnapper must be the most cruel. they should experience their kids to kidnapped also.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you read the article, it says her father kidnapped her.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

It also claims he said he loves her. He probably does, in his own twisted way.

6. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

You need to look at these stories from the fathers perspective sometimes, you can have a ex partner threaten that he will never ever see his child again and his wife makes some cock and bull story to make this happen because she wants to hurt him.
    Would this not drive you to kidnap your own child?

This may or may not be the situation for this case but many of them are desperate parents who's rights have been ignored when it comes to them seeing there own child, such as often fathers only get there children for weekends or not at all and its a rare case where the father gets the dominant access to the child even if he is the most suitable provider. These things can and should drive any parent to see there child even if in the most extreme case where they have been granted zero access kidnapping ones child becomes a sensible option to said parent because any parent that loves there child will want to see there child.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I saw Clark Rockefeller's interview on the Today Show last week, and from a phycological standpoint, there are multiple reasons to doubt his sanity. I seriously doubt he's mentally capable of standing trial.

8. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Oh, God, the irony!

9. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

indeed the most cruel. death not good enough for kidnapper.

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Nice to see the pitchforks are out already. Long live justice!

Edit: Balls, only a month late :(.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

How do you kidnap your own child? Doesn't that sound like an oxymoron?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

At least in the United States, not everyone has legal custody of their children. People may lose legal custody in a variety of ways -- giving the child up for adoption, losing custody to the state because of neglect or abuse, losing custody as part of a divorce settlement, etc. Is it not this way in Ireland?

This is an excellent FAIL. :D Thanks.

13. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Agreed people are most horrid when all they think about is punishing someone whom may have just wanted to see his daughter. If he is mentally ill then he is a sick man that should have been receiving support.
    Kidnapping is never severe enough to warrant death, if that is the case should a store thief be jailed 60 years to life for stealing some groceries. The punishment matches the crime and in this case its more a crime that the father of this child was not allowed to see his child and took drastic action that in his mind he must have felt was right.
    If it was the mother escaped from a mental institute and kidnapped her daughter it would not be a kidnapping it would be a mother desperate to see her daughter that she risked everything.
    If you think kidnappers should be given the gas chamber your pretty sad, there are many types of kidnapping with many different motivations and its a common place thing and to be honest its kinda fun if its the traditional ransom type but of course kidnappers and motives vary as does the severity of the punishment. But a kidnapper should never be killed if he or she has not killed the abductee and in 90% of the cases it is a parent that has not been allowed to ever see there child the other 10% are for money, business or power with a very low less than a percentage with the actual intent to cause any harm to there abductee than a small amount of malnutrition.

14. JML42691 thread starter macrumors 68020

JML42691

An article about his trial and his current state, he is being charged with kidnapping and giving a false name to a police officer, he is being held without bail:

Article Link

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's a pretty strange story overall... this one made me bother to go back and re-read the other ones... So there's lots of weird random stuff here, but one that struck me is the statement that police could not find a marriage certificate for his marriage to the mother of this child. That's a bit odd, considering he subsequently divorced the mother and the mother is available for questioning ... it seems like something the mother's divorce lawyer should've been able to produce within a very short period of time.

Anyways, what a weird business. I really rather wonder if there are even more layers of onion peel to peel back on this one... and whether the people who have provided information to the police thus far have been... wholly forthcoming.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Forthcoming?? :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt it. Lawyers are fond of brandishing lawyer/client privilege around like Excalibur.

The fictional days of Perry Mason being an "officer of the court" are long gone.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, true... I'm just sayin' this person was basically living some kind of secret life at least up to and before the time of their marriage, and the secret life was compelling enough, for instance, to get him a directorship at the Algonquin Club... I wonder what his ex-wife knows....

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Darn, your quote got in before I fixed my sword. ;)

This is starting to remind me of True Lies. :D

19. JML42691 thread starter macrumors 68020

JML42691

I doubt that we will ever find out the whole story of his life, there will always be more layers of the onion that haven't been determined. Something must have happened in Germany that made him stay over here and change his name (when they put out the Amber Alert, they gave out 4 aliases to his name, none of which were his true name). At first his lawyers claimed that he lived in California for a time, but had no connection to those murders, now it is shown that they were his landlords or something like that. Also how he "completely forgot" about living in Germany for the first decade or two of his life, that one just completely baffles me if it were actually true (his forgetting of it). I don't think that we will ever discover the entirety of his history, I wouldn't be surprised if he was accused of doing anything when he lived in Germany, or did something and got away with it.

20. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

21. JML42691 thread starter macrumors 68020

JML42691

Yes, he was found with his daughter a week later in Baltimore where he was arrested. He is currently being held without bail and is charged with kidnapping and giving a false name to a police officer.