Kidnapped woman hidden in CA backyard for 18 years

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Aug 28, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

This is quite a horrifying story.

Full Story

This is a textbook case of trauma. I can't imagine what life has been like and will be like from now on for this young woman, her children, and her family. I shudder just thinking about it. :(

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Hmm...uh...um....buh....nope. No words for this. Terrible. On so many levels.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ouch. This, combined with this other story, is all really sad. Think about all the lives that have been 'lost', in a way.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. MoleSkine macrumors member

She feels guilty for bonding with her captor - but nothing to feel guilty about it was 18 years

Elizabeth Smart's father was gung ho on saying that they dont bond with captors - his daughter didnt bond, she hated them...thats great but Elizabeth spent "only" 9 months with them - sorry but that no where compares to 18 years of your life.

That sick dude said he knew what he did was wrong and he changed his ways and when people hear the story they will be surprised...just shows how twisted this dude was/is

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Unfortunately it does not cover this.

California's rules for the death penalty. First-degree murder with special circumstances; train wrecking; treason; perjury causing execution.

7. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

Unbelievable what some people do.
    Those children haven't seen the world beyond that awful blue tarp. I hope they will be able to adjust to the 'real world'.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

he is the perfect candidate for a pineapple up the a$$. this is from a silly movie my daughter loves. little nikky. the devil shoves a pineapple up hitler's a$$ as his daily punishment.

10. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Little Nicky. Pretty hilarious at times. ^^

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Do you really think the death penalty would help?

12. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

nothing could be as bad as the austrian guy who imprisoned his daughter and the children he kept having with her...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/Indians-Abroad/Austrian-man-imprisoned-daughter-for-24-yrs-fathered-7-kids/articleshow/3000402.cms

This article isn't written very well, but in the TV show I saw about it, it was obvious that the wife would have had to have known all about it for decades and just let it happen. Some of the children were kept imprisoned in his meticulously built dungeon with his daughter, others were allowed to live with the family upstairs because they told the public their 'missing' daughter had abandoned them on their doorstep.

13. RayStar macrumors member

RayStar

This neighborhood must have some of the most mind your own business residents ever. There is no way this should have continue for so long. I have some very busy body neighbors and I think this would have been discovered very early from the start.

I am glad she is alive.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Lets see, kidnapped an 11 year old girl, held her in captivity for 18 years, raped her and fathered 2 children, kept his grandkids locked up. Yes, I believe these animals deserve to be put down. Since I don't want to derail this thread, lets agree to disagree about the death penalty.

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

seems the guy was convicted before so he certainly gets life in prison and his fellow inmates will have fun with him. i hope they can correct his twisted mind with therapy somehow so that he at least realizes what he did.

i hope the girl and her daughters will be left alone by the press so that they can get the help the need and reintegrate into a normal life. very sad story and I hope that there are no other cases like this out there. this is already the third i know about.

16. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

do u think we will ever see what she looks like now?

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Wait, so this guy's backyard was a bunch of sheds and tents and the coppers never ONCE popped round for a little look-see?

That's just weird.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They got called once in 2006 but for some reason never searched the property.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8229919.stm

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

20. greg555 macrumors 6502a

It had an 8' fence across the back that appears to be the end of the yard. And the tents and sheds were behind that.

Still a very sad thing for the police to miss. Especially the 2006 911 call that said a woman and kids were living in a tent in the back yard.

Greg

21. holland macrumors newbie

In one article I read it said the police told the woman that called that they couldn't do anything without a search warrant. The police failed to find out that he was a registered sex offender and the sheriff commented, in the article, that because he is a registered sex offender he doesn't have those privacy rights.

22. MoleSkine macrumors member

So get this - the daughters of this captor (the 11 and 15 yr olds whom he had with the girl he kidnapped) are supposedely angry that their daddy is in jail.

If they only knew/understdood.

23. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    They likely never will as is the case with all children that are the product of rape. It's hard to wrap your brain around the fact that your existence is the result of a heinous act of violence. Identity formation is difficult because your identity is rooted in the suffering of your parent. Adjustment for these young girls and their mother will be a lifelong process that must be taken day by day.

24. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

disgusts me that with so much evidence against him from the beginning he wasn't caught for 18 years.

when I read the story, I figured he lived in a very rural area with lots of land and no neighbors nearby.

look at this bird's eye view of his back yard... the tents they lived in appear to be right up against their neighbors property line. Ignorance is bliss!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/americas_enl_1251635392/html/1.stm

25. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it's impossible that no one in the neighborhood had noticed those.
    they just didn't care.

unless of course the angels where keeping the tents mystically invisible