Kids React To Apple II

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by MacTech68, May 26, 2014.

1. MacTech68, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Youtube video shows how far we've come:

(and how pre-programmed today's kids are) ;)

2. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Haha, this is brilliant. It's also an excuse to show my "elementary teaching" studying girlfriend an Apple II video! xD

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Not really good.

The kids didn't know it was an Apple II as the logo and model/brand were covered up.

I think the kids would've thought it to be cooler if they saw the computer make and did what most schools did - the computer auto booted into an education program.

4. MacTech68 thread starter macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I felt kind of sad that a PR#6 wasn't used. :(

And yes, it would have been nice to see in the extras (yes there's another) a reveal of the logo/company name.

5. tdiaz macrumors 6502

At least it said APPLE II on the screen. Someone wasn't swift enough to drop in a modified F8 ROM.. Though none of them seemed to pick up on it.

6. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

shows how stupid and unfortunately ignorant todays kids are. lol i would have actually done something on it, and I'm only 15.

7. AT101ET macrumors 6502

I watched that. It's a shame they don't appreciate the basics of what has set the standards that made them think about it in this light.

8. MicrosoftApple macrumors newbie

LOL They brought a bunch of idiots on YouTube and made this
    I know ever single thing on the Apple ][ and Im only 15
    If they brought me on that show I'd be the only person who would able to use the computer

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why call kids idiots when clearly they've never been exposed to such technology. My girls were shocked when they first saw a record player and were shocked to discover that music came from LPs.

Just because of you know what it is at 15 doesn't mean an 8 year olds are going to pick up on it.

Good for you, but I'm pretty sure most 15 year olds won't know what an Apple II that doesn't make them idiots, just unaware of 30 year old technology.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That wasn't very nice of you to call little children, who are in the stages of learning, idiots. :(

That's part of growing up; learning about new and old things.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Aren't you smart. I'm sure I know some older tech you've never been exposed to yet wouldn't call you idiots.

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

*sigh*Why I'm replying to the troll, I don't know...*sigh*

How about at 8? Would you have know what it was and how to use it at 8?

Are your parents (or a close family friend) big fans of older technology? Congrats! You're more knowledgeable about old Apple computers than 99.9% of 15 year olds. That doesn't make them (and especially not the 8-year olds) "idiots".

If I were to throw down an old 8" floppy disk in front of you, or an Altair, or any number of other old pieces of technology, do you think you'd know what to do with it?

Or an old HP calculator - which doesn't work like a normal calculator. You'd type on it for a few moments, and go "how does this work?" Does that make you an idiot? No. It makes you normal for your age.

How about if I tried to get you to use an Eight-track player? Or a micro cassette recorder? Or a cassette-based answering machine? Or handed you a 78 record?

And again, even if you know this now, at age 15, would you have known it at age 8?

Get over yourself. Life will be a lot kinder on you in later years if you do.

13. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I suppose times change rapidly.

When I was in middle school in the mid-1990s, we had Apple IIs in all my classrooms. I know that we had a mix of different models-about half were IIc s with monochrome displays, and the other half I think were IIe s with color displays. I thought them antiquated at the time(especially since the main computer lab was a room full of 486s and then later Pentium IIs), and we never did anything on them but play some of(plentiful) educational programs that were available for the Apple II.

The Apple IIs went away as surplus x86s made their way into the classrooms, and I think most were junked. I wish I would have had the foresight to grab a couple(they likely would have given me at least one, as they were very generous with me with the old 486s) but wasn't an "Apple guy" at the time so passed.

I have nephews who are 8 and 4 now-I'm going to make it a point to get them in front of some older computers!