Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Kik does not have an AW version, but I would like get get kik notifications on my watch. The notifications occurred once, but I can't get it to work again. Anyone getting kik notifications on the watch? If so, how do I set it up? Thanks.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You do understand that any notification you get on your iPhone you can get on your :apple:Watch. This is all setup in the iPhone Companion (Watch) App: Notifications: Mirror iPhone Alerts from:

Andydigital

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2013
They work on my watch, but the problem with Kik notifications is that they only include the nickname of the person sending the message plus a couple of words, so they are for the most part useless anyway.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
You do understand that any notification you get on your iPhone you can get on your :apple:Watch. This is all setup in the iPhone Companion (Watch) App: Notifications: Mirror iPhone Alerts from:

Okay, but I don't see Kik in the Mirror iPhone Alerts from...

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
They work on my watch, but the problem with Kik notifications is that they only include the nickname of the person sending the message plus a couple of words, so they are for the most part useless anyway.

Do I need to enable kik banner notification on my phone in order for it to show up on my watch?

Andydigital

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2013
Yes, that's the case for all notifications, if they don't show on the phone you wont see them on the watch either. When things are working properly though and you are actually wearing the watch then the notifications will come to the watch, but they wont wake the phone and show there. When you aren't wearing the watch the watch notifications stop and transfer to the phone instead.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Yes, that's the case for all notifications, if they don't show on the phone you wont see them on the watch either. When things are working properly though and you are actually wearing the watch then the notifications will come to the watch, but they wont wake the phone and show there. When you aren't wearing the watch the watch notifications stop and transfer to the phone instead.

Okay thanks. When I enabled the banner notification for kik on my phone, I got notification on my watch. It's happened at least once so far anyway. If it keeps working that will save me from picking up the phone so much throughout the day. Thanks for your help.

Andydigital

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2013
That's the problem with Kik though, you only get the first couple of words of the message and that's it, so you will still need to pick up the phone to read the whole message. Hopefully they will increase the notification size in future then we can read the whole message in the notification on our watches.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
That's the problem with Kik though, you only get the first couple of words of the message and that's it, so you will still need to pick up the phone to read the whole message. Hopefully they will increase the notification size in future then we can read the whole message in the notification on our watches.

Okay, it's working for me now, but I don't get the haptic touch when the Kik notifications arrive. Haptic touch works with my default AW apps. Is haptic touch working for kik, for you?

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Okay thanks. When I enabled the banner notification for kik on my phone, I got notification on my watch. It's happened at least once so far anyway. If it keeps working that will save me from picking up the phone so much throughout the day. Thanks for your help.

The kik notifications are coming, but I don't get the haptic touch on my watch when those notices arrive. I'm going to try resetting the watch a few times. Haptic touch works for the default apps on my watch. Does it work for you with kik notifications?

Andydigital

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2013
To be honest with you I can't remember, I'm fairly certain it does, all notifications do, it's not something the Kik developer needs to provide for, it's iOS 8 itself that does it by default for all notifications. Send me a message as a test, my username on there is the same as here.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
To be honest with you I can't remember, I'm fairly certain it does, all notifications do, it's not something the Kik developer needs to provide for, it's iOS 8 itself that does it by default for all notifications. Send me a message as a test, my username on there is the same as here.

Thanks, it's working now. It seemed to start working after I turned on sound notification for kik on the iPhone. A friend sent a few kik messages that came through on my watch, and I got the haptic touch. If these notifications keep up, I'll definitely be picking up my phone less.

Again, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.