Kila's MacBook Pro 'Unibody' Review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, Dec 14, 2008.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Switching from a Santa Rosa MacBook Pro to the new Unibody one, here's my general thoughs, likes and dislikes.

Obviously, the unibody design makes the laptop feel so much stronger. My old MacBook Pro, when I lifted it I could feel the casing creaking/moving in on itself. Not with the unibody, this thing is just so damn strong. Also, the magnetic latch is a huge bonus, no more having to stick my nails in just to open the screen.

A lot of people have been complaining about the glossy screen, and I was one that complained when I heard that there was going to be no matte option. However, I actually love this screen. It is extremely bright, rich in colour and the reflections aren't that bad - in a weird sort of way, minor reflections make the screen look nicer! I prefer this to my matte screen - looking at my matte screen, it just looks dull and lifeless.

Now, the keyboard. Going from the old keyboard to the new one, I've not made one mistake in typing this post, where as I would have at least spelt "the" "teh". It is very light and very easy to touch type. It also looks pretty awesome! The trackpad I'm still getting a bit used to - the 4 finger expose gesture I just can't use, it doesn't respond half the time. Plus I'm too used to my hot corners. But so far, so good. Not having a button I haven't noticed, although it makes a proper "click" noise which might turn out to be irritating! Guess it just needs to be woren in.

The speakers are reasonably good - a lot louder and clearer than my previous MacBook Pro, although they no match to dedicated desktop speakers.

All in all, I'm much happier with this than my previous generation MacBook Pro, and one of the main reasons is the keyboard and the glossy screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

My Santa Rosa MacBook Pro broke (optical drive) and it had already had a failed GPU so John Lewis didn't see it worthy repairing since it was in the 2nd guarantee and it's them that pay for it, so just replaced it.

3. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

As for the review, thanks. My wife and I are looking to be buying a MacBook in 2009 for her and we're really worried about the glossy screen. However, a lot of people keep saying that it really isn't as bad as it's made out to be. I guess we'll just have to see, right?!

Thanks, again, for the review.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Congrats, very happy for you, it's a beautiful machine. Great post and it's good that you acknowledged that you actually liked the glossy screen.

On a side note, this is not just against the OP but I wish people would "USE" or "TRY" something before ranting about it such as the OP said he complained about the glossy (and not matte option) and then we got it he liked the glossy and prefers it to his matte screen. Too many people on MR get scared to buy a Mac computer based on all this premature rants. Good lesson from the OP, try before you rant. :)

5. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Ah I see.. fair play then. I hope this one gives you a problem-free lifetime, hopefully my Santa Rosa MBP will see me through a few more MBP revisions!

6. BigD58 macrumors regular

Thanks for the review, this eases my worries a bit. But....

Have you done many graphic intensive task? Such as games? If so have you had the black screen of death?

Thanks

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Played Tiger Woods 08 (Mac version) - I was playing and was happy with the performance and then realised that I was running the 9400M! The 9600GT provided a slight boost but not much.

Then again, it is a Cider port. I need to get round to installing Windows and then I'll take Unreal Tournament 3 for a spin along with PES 2009. I'll report back the performance/heat/any other issues or positives.

8. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

Keep us posted... will come back for results. Try RA3 or COD:WAW as well if you can :D

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congratulations Kilamite!

RA3 works great. It worked on the older 8600M GT just fine as well, so I don't see why it wouldn't have worked now.

10. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

Glad to know that. I maxed out the graphics of RA3 on these unibody MBPs at a local Apple retailer and the game was really really slow. What do you think is the optimal graphics?

I am waiting for the release of 17" and hopefully they would have a better graphic card choice (maybe CTO options).

Thanks

11. Phat Ham macrumors member

The new trackpad took a little while for me to get used to also. Honestly it was pretty awkward at first. Like you I found the 3 and 4 finger gestures sometimes did not respond. Now everthing works the way I want. Just had to get used to it I guess. Of course now I when I try to use a "normal" trackpad I feel pretty spastic.

12. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah, I've taken alphaod's avoid from another thread and I'm keeping my thumb actually off the trackpad.

I'm just tapping to click rather than actually pressing the trackpad button. It is my thumb that causes the problem when I rest it on the trackpad where the button is on the previous generation, which is why I'd be keen to see if it is possible to add some dead-zone to it.