Kile on OS X (Natively)... but can it be uninstalled?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fliptomato, Jun 27, 2008.

1. fliptomato Guest

Greetings... I've been installing software on my new MacBook and have gotten to the point where I'd like to install the KDE LaTeX Editor (Kile). I found a page which explains how to install Kile on OS X natively without using X11... but the installation looks rather involved. (Perhaps overly-so.)

Before I dive into such an installation, I'd like to make sure that there's a way to undo things in case they don't work out. In particular, I'm unfamiliar with commands like "svn checkout svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdepimlibs". Given how involved the installation instructions appear, is there a way to uninstall a full or partial installation without going through all this fuss? I'm worried that I'll end up with KDE taking up tons of space without Kile even working.

On the other hand, I've been having a hard time looking for an alternative to Kile. TeXMaker seems to be the closest product, but it lacks some features that I've gotten used to (auto-complete, customizable highlighting, auto-indent, for example). TextMate is somewhat closer, but it's commercial-ware and still doesn't provide the same feature set as Kile. I'll be working with large multi-file projects, so having a good editor is important for me... but I'm concerned that the "Run Kile Natively" option is a bit too kludged together for someone like me who isn't too comfortable with OS X.

Alternately, I suppose I could install an X11 version... but I don't know where to find instructions to do this. Also, I heard that the X11 version doesn't have copy-and-paste compatibility with the rest of OS X. (Is this true with the latest build??)

Any insights would be really helpful!

Thanks very much,
    Flip

2. riton06 macrumors newbie

Hello Flip,
    did you find a solution to your problem ? I've try to install kile with fink or macport but unfortunatly it doesn't work ("bus error" when launching kile).
    Best

3. fliptomato thread starter Guest

Unfortunately I didn't figure it out. I ended up spending a bit of money to get TextMate, which I've been very happy with.

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

5. ignatius1221 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem but:

1) I am trying to install kile by using macports (which is a way to install almost every open source software)
    2) meanwhile, I am using Eclipse http://texlipse.sourceforge.net/ which is a lot better than teXshop.

Hope this helos you.

Cheers!