Kill All Apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlindMellon, Oct 27, 2011.

1. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Any way to kill all apps in memory? (an app or otherwise). My iPhone 4 (that I bought used) is on ios5. No JB means no 'remove background' app from Cydia.

I'm guessing no, but just confirming...:(

2. psonice macrumors 6502a

3. AmereckanPsycho macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

iFullStat

4. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Exactly, iOS is quite capable of managing the apps itself. There is no need to go in and kill apps.

5. BlindMellon thread starter macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

This has been proven false, time and time again. There are rogue apps that sit in the tray and suck your battery and resources. Perhaps all apps written by Apple themselves are fine, but there are others that are not and it's nice to be able to wipe them all at once.

6. elistan macrumors 6502a

Which apps are those? I've never heard of any.

Anyway, the only method I can think of on a stock iOS device is to reboot it.

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

And this has been proven, time and time again. It goes both ways.
    If you're anal about whats in suspended state, go close the app if you're fearing a leak.
    I don't close my apps ever, and have no problems.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

System Activity Monitor does this job quite perfectly. It kills all active apps and frees up memory.

9. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Well you could just jailbreak and use remove background.

10. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Right, well I know a bunch of people who don't have any issues. This tells me it is not a widespread problem if it exists, so there is no need for something that kills all apps. If you have an issue with a specific app you can kill it quite easily using the built in method.

11. flatlined macrumors member

Is this App working OK with iOS 5? I've read a few reviews of people saying it crashes on iOS 5 and to wait till they update it.

Also does it have a kill all apps feature? I knew it had a free up memory feature but I was unaware of the kill active apps one too.

I was thinking of Jailbreaking just for SBSettings toggles and Remove Background.

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I have had no troubles with System Activity Monitor on my iPhone 4 with iOS5. However I am not aware of any way to have it kill apps.

13. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It has? Can you provide links to said proofs?

15. urkel macrumors 68030

With everyone blaming the end user for battery issues then things like "Kill all apps", turning off wifi or adjusting brightness/location info should have shortcut switches in the notifications window.

16. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

That would be great. One of the things that make me want to jailbreak but I probably won't.

17. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

only in a jb'ed iphone. :eek:

18. SurferMan macrumors 65816

SBSettings can prove it false, as it'll show the memory usage after just opening/using a few app's. Do the same thing on stock iOS and you'd have no idea those app's are still running after closing. For example if I just close Safari, it's still in the "background" using memory, and if I delete from SBS memory jumps up.

19. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

He's right.

----------

Close your apps and notice the improvement in your phones performance.

20. zman98 macrumors member

On the 4s you can just tell Siri to restart...

21. elistan macrumors 6502a

A suspended app having memory still allocated to it doesn't imply that it's using up CPU or battery resources.

22. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Well I can tell you on my 3GS and 4 when I have apps in the task tray, I see a noticeable decrease in battery life vs manually closing each app every time or clearing the tray out. Plenty have posted similar experiences even though these are supposed to be "not" running.

23. ppilone macrumors 6502

You're comparing how iOS behaves after jailbreaking to how it behaves normally. And as another poster mentioned - an app that has memory allocated to it in the background does not mean it's using any CPU or battery power. The OS leaves that memory allocated to the app when it's suspended. If your phone gets low on memory the OS will start killing off apps entirely and reclaiming the allocated memory.

24. spartanrob macrumors 6502

spartanrob

I did this, but all the apps remain when i double click home

25. SurferMan macrumors 65816

you must have missed the part where I said on both my 3GS and 4, if apps are frozen in task bar, I see a nice decrease in battery life whether in standby mode, or when using normally. When those app's are manually removed from task bar and left in standby, or manually closing right after using any app... battery life is fine. And there's nothing else running, locations etc are all off, no streaming apps like pandora.