Kill my computer.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cricketman, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Cricketman macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I have an 8 year old Compaq Presario desktop. Here are the system specs:
    Intel Pentium CPU 1.8 GHz.
    512 MB RAM
    80GB Hard Drive
    Video Card, etc Unkown
    Windows XP

I need to kill this machine. I am in need for a new computer, preferably an iMac or even a Mac Mini, and for my parents to give in, this must die.

Now now, before you all jump on me, take a second in my situation.

-I'm a student. I rely on this machine for all my papers, documents, lectures, power point presentations, and e-mails. I also use it for light entertainment, such as YouTube and the occasional movie.

-The Hard Drive on this device is almost full. I only have 1.2GB free, and this is showing in computer performance. It's slow and groggy and I can't handle it anymore.
    - I cannot watch a single Youtube video without lag and skippage. It will short out in the middle, audio will go out of sync, as if everything suddenly moves only in slow motion. It's unbearable.
    -Only 1 USB port works
    -CD/DVD Drive is toast.

-This thing is LOUD. Every time I use something even the slightest bit intensive, it sounds as if a plane is taking off in my room. I can't hear if my parents call my frown downstairs, or even if my phone rings. Sometimes I leave the computer on at night, and the sound drives me insane.

We recently purchased a Sony Vaio FW 235J, a very nice laptop computer, last year at an absolute steal of a price for 750$ at Best Buy last year. It's got it all - 4Gigs of ram, a large 250GB hard drive, a big 16.4 inch fully HIGH DEF screen, it's a good computer. However, it's no desktop - it's usually downstairs and is my mom's computer. I don't want to fill up the computer with my music, movies, and school stuff.

Because of the fact that we bought a computer recently, my parents are reluctant to even think about purchasing a new desktop anytime soon. But I believe that this is a need. The only way they might consider this is if my desktop were to somehow break...<.<

Can anyone help me out??

2. Zortrium macrumors 6502

External hard drives are cheap. Really cheap. And you should have one anyways to use as a backup, since it sounds like all your important data is stored on that one drive.

As for replacing a machine that old, it's not very expensive to get a used or cheap new machine that'll blow your current one away. If there is a legitimate reason that your computer is incapable of meeting your needs, which it sounds like may be the case, then clearly explain the reasons why to your parents. Having a computer that simply doesn't work is just a more obvious reason why a replacement is needed; there are plenty of others (and better ones if your current machine still works).

Of course, there's always option B, which consists of financing the purchase yourself and cutting your parents out of the picture.

3. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

Have already tried option B. I have the money, but i'm not allowed to touch it, it's for college.

And the explaining part, I doubt they'll listen! :eek:

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Clean up your "crap" to an external drive. Wipe HD and reinstall (clean install) your OS. Reinstall only applications you need. Buy more RAM. Save your money until it dies on its own.

If you are planning in the future to go to college, will you be lugging a desktop to class or the library? Thing long term...when you do finally buy a computer make sure you plan for the future.

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

If you absolutely want to kill it, just unplug the CPU cooler and run the machine for a minute until the processor cooks itself to death. I don't know if a proc that old has a thermal shutdown feature, but I doubt it.

6. Rotator macrumors newbie

If it doesn't, it will be an extreme fire hazard. Fun though. :cool:

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Damn, you touched on it before I did. Only one way to find out - if it fries and can turn on again, it has the feature and your SOL. You could potentially corrupt the OS, or shake the HDD while its running (after making a backup). I wouldn't TOUCH the PSU (even with no power, can go boom). Furthermore, you should ask you parents to use your system for five minutes. Then pitch them OSX.

Personally, I wouldn't do that to a system. If you have an income, savesavesave for a MBP or other portable for university. Trust me, the save for a new machine is a tonne better then getting a replacement. Makes it much more valuable.

Why do you need a desktop? The Apple iMac is nothing but a laptop with a large screen, an LCD and keyboard would mix well with them.

EDIT - in response to Bumzo's fine print, I would like to add that I too am not liable for anything done to your computer.

8. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

pull out the cpu, bend a pin and put it back in

9. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

if you really want to kill this machine get an external hard drive or USB drive to back up everything you want to keep then take out the hard drive and remove a few prongs and shove them into the SATA cable this way it wont boot and cant be fixed (easily) or break something off of the motherboard or...... take out the ram.... idk be creative

FINE PRINT
    I am not liable for anything you do to your computer

P.S. tell me how it goes

10. macintouch macrumors regular

dump a bucket of water on the insides. then power it on with a stick or something. let it boot up and ****, then figure out a way to safely unplug it so you don't get shocked. stick again, perhaps.

11. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Go green. Get a watt meter, and show them that an 8 year old PC probably pulls 120-150W, and depending on the display you have, it could jump to 400W. Measure when you're running youtube and doing a defrag... :p

Mom, Dad? I feel bad that this PC is wasting so much electricity and is so costly to operate. If I had a notebook like the new Macbook that is so low wattage, and recyclable, it would be really nice... Just think, I could use this in the living room, and if we go on trips. By the way, if this thing dies, we can't get it repaired, and we'll have to panic to replace it rapidly so I can do homework. We should make an informed decision now and migrate the data over. We can even format this old machine, and donate it to somebody locally that needs a computer!

And if I know Presarios, it ain't quiet. :)

12. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I'd like to point out that if you've been nagging for a new computer and your perfectly functioning one suddenly has some catastrophic failure, if your parents are anything like mine they'd be totally suspicious and it might backfire leaving you with NO computer of your own.

If that's a desktop and it's 8 years old, it's probably in an ATX case, why not just get a new hard drive??

13. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Buy an external hard drive and back up your data. Then just take out the old hard drive, and (being 8 years old this will be easy) pull a few pins out or break them off, then just plug what's left back in. Voila, broken computer. Alternatively, poke something through the case to stop the fan and wait for the computer to cook itself while you entertain yourself with youtube.

To everyone suggesting a new hard drive, think about the real problem here: 1.8 GHz Pentium 4.

14. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

Force your parents to understand that you NEED a finer computer for college, and because you have college savings this is the time to use it. They may take my word for it :). Also pull out some meaningless scientific research papers stating that computers are important for mental development and have some stories ready about billionaires relying heavily on their computers.
    Edit: Or throw the damn thing down the stairs, if you can do that to the poor thing.

15. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Hey..think long term...as u r saving money for college...budget for a MBP starting now....use ur desktop till then and don't give in to temptation as it never ends...

16. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

please justify how you think that a 'need' is to break a working computer in order to trick your parents into buying you a new one.

your computer is clearly fine for school needs. i highly doubt you have your 80gb hard drive filled to the brim with important files. can't believe you're trying to rip off your own parents, you ingrateful brat.

how about getting a job??? a week or two of pay could easily buy you a decent desktop.

17. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

I'm currently a Junior in high school. Any money I collect goes directly to my Bank account, which will pay for my laptop, phone, any other 'techie' stuff when college comes around (June 2011).

I don't want to buy a laptop now and have to take a 2 year old, outdated computer to college.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

A 2 year old laptop won't be obsolete in college. ;) Thst's true even if you do engineering. You may have trouble if your major involves creating movies, 3D modelling, or architecture. Otherwise, you're probably OK.

And if your parents really are this stubborn (and I don't 100% know if they are), then I guess this is actually the only way. It may not be moral, but some people really just do not listen to argument, even if you make a good point.

19. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

makes sense...so dnt kill ur desktop yet...wait for a couple of years and then u can probably go in for the delicious quad core MBPs......;)

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Use facts, not fraud

1. Take your laptop to a common area and set it's power management for always on. Put in a place where they can't get away from the fan whine. Find reasons to temporarily borrow your mother's computer (college and/or higher education related would be best, such as "Hey, I want to watch the 'Introduction to Philosophy' course from Missou on iTunes U, but my computer won't handle it. May I borrow yours?"*, and leave your loud, whiny system on her desk.

2. Find a guide online to see how easy it is to clean and/or replace your fan. If you can't do it easily, get a quote from a reputable computer dealer. Fans can clog with dust/dirt and wear out over time.

3. Get a quote on maxing out your computer's hard drive and ram.

4. Marshal and present your facts. To keep this computer operating and usable, it's going to need its fan repaired and/or replaced. That will cost at least $x. Likewise, a ram upgrade will cost $y, and a hard drive replacement (and the hard drive is 8 years old already) will cost $z. Do we want to spend $x+y+z on a system that's only worth $(cost of what you can find your system for on craigslist), or wouldn't it make more sense to put $x+y+z into a newer system, like a used or refurbed mac mini?

5. On an related note, it IS a little unrealistic to expect a new mac desktop now, and a new laptop in two years when you head off to college. I'd either get the fan fixed/replaced if I could do so cheaply, or maybe find a good deal on a newer (windows 7 capable) laptop on CL to tide you over if you can't.

*Dang, I'm good.

21. Anxo macrumors newbie

I wouldn't recommend you kill your computer, by the sounds of it there is a higher chance of your plan backfiring than there is of you getting a new computer out of it.

You best bet would be to just sit down with them and explain to them why you need a new computer, also if your parents aren't willing to buy you a new computer now because of your 8 year old one what makes you so sure they will buy you a computer that will cost around £1000+ for a iMac ? ;)

22. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Whilst I don't condone it since it is morally wrong... You could accidentally spill something nasty on it like devils sperm - I mean coke/diet coke/caffeine free diet coke. Then, claim on your folks insurance. Coke is disgusting caffeinated putrid filth IMO.

Of course, you can always argue that insurance companies are inherently immoral, which may make it easier on your conscience if you decide to frazzle your machine with coke. Coke and electronics simply don't mix. You might need to say you were doing some upgrades/repair or something since you might need to remove the case prior to the big spill?

You did ask how to kill your machine so you can get a new one... ;)

23. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

One option you do have is to do a price comparison between upgrading/fixing your computer compared to the cost of a new one, albeit this assumes that they may be willing to upgrade your computer.

As a parent of teens, I would highly recommend that you not "break" your computer. I suspect that if they are unwilling to buy you a new one now, they probably won't buy you a new one if your's broke; they would probably make you do without and use your mom's when she is not using it. :cool:

24. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

RAM for old computers is very cheap unless you are running RDRAM like my old Dell... I just bumped it up to 1.5 GB and a "new" 1.7 Ghz CPU all for a whopping $72 (that's with the RDRAM)...

...why don't you max out your RAM on your current machine and save for a really nice laptop over the next two years so you have "cutting" edge tech to go off to school with?

25. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Of course you're going to have to get hold of your parents' insurance policy first to make sure it's covered. And in the UK at least something like spilling coke on an 8 year old computer when the case just happened to be off would probably earn you a red flag.

My mum (the insurance broker) was unimpressed when I went "we're insured for the old pc?! Why didn't someone just drop it down the stairs?!" :p

Make your case to your parents and if they ignore you take your savings and buy yourself one of the Macbooks that just got updated. I went to university with an 18 month old iBook (bought because my old PC was useless) It was just fine. I'm still using it.

Asking for a desktop now and a laptop in 2 years seems greedy. You could share your mum's computer and just keep all your movies etc on an external. They're really cheap. That's actually probably your best solution.