Kill the speakers temporary?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johannnn, May 14, 2011.

1. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Hi

I often study in a library with my MacBook. I do not want it to make some stupid sound in there and everyone look at me. What I do is just to mute it. However, this can accidentally be activated on the keyboard, and sometimes the muted state is not saved when I reboot the computer.

I could deactivate the sound of every single application, including the error sounds in OS X, but this would be highly inconvenient when I want sound again.

One solution that I like is to plug in ear phones in the MacBook. Then all sounds will always come to the ear phones regardless of the situation.

But is there any good solution without the ear phones? What I would like to do is just to kill the the speakers temporary. OS X built-in solution or 3rd party app does not matter much as long as it is a solution.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's exactly what the mute button is for, or you can simply turn the volume all the way down.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you want to just make it harder to accidentally undo, try switching the preference in System Preferences -> Keyboard for the function keys to act as function keys instead of the built-in commands. That will mean that you have to hit Fn + F10 to unmute instead of just bumping the mute key by itself.

jW