Killed my Air whilst replacing cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by myuserid08, Jul 31, 2011.

1. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was replacing the audio cable in my Air when I dropped a screw on the board which controls the front pulsing light.
    My Air no longer turns on, the only part that shows any life is the charger.

I cannot believe the screw has shorted the logic board ?

It's a 2009 1.86ghz, 128gb MacBook air.

Any suggestions ?

PS. Trying to upload photo, it's difficult when using an iPhone!!

2. Nobita macrumors 6502

If you have apple care, i suggest you to just go to the apple store and play dumb. it's really hard to fix a shortened logic board.

3. wpotere Guest

And by "playing dumb", you mean lie...:rolleyes:

It is possible that you killed it. Might be time to purchase a new computer.

4. myuserid08 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, don't have AppleCare - even when it was in warranty I replaced various parts including the fan/wifi card - it's often quicker and cheaper to do it yourself once you take travel into account.

5. quackinator macrumors newbie

Since you're out of warranty and your board seems to be fried, try reflowing it. You have nothing to lose anyways :)

6. phantax macrumors member

Reflow what? He shorted the board out, he isn't trying to repair cold solder joints here.

7. phantax macrumors member

OP: Did you not have the battery (and AC) disconnected when you were replacing the audio cable?

I am asking because it would be very difficult to short out the logic board with no power running through it and I believe you have to remove the battery to get to the cable you were replacing.

8. myuserid08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes battery was disconnected - this is what I don't understand, how can it be a short when there was no power (caps maybe?).

I've taken the air completely to bits and rebuilt, still doesn't want to fire up.

9. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

You are supposed to not touch it for several hours while the caps dissipate.

10. wpotere Guest

Where you using anti static straps? You could have killed it with static electricity as well.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple would want $755 to replace the logic board. Unfortunately, it may be time to get a new one, particularly since for $445 more than a repair you can get a new 11" with the Core i5, 4GB, and 128GB SSD.

12. quackinator macrumors newbie

Well it wouldn't hurt to try, and it would cost him next to nothing (except for the gas bill perhaps, for using an oven)

13. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Put it back together and take it to Apple let them look at and see what they say. They will give you a quote before they do any repair work.

At least if you know the cost of the repair you can make a decision.