Killer App Idea - I'm giving it to you!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Apple!Fre@k, May 27, 2010.

1. Apple!Fre@k macrumors 6502a

I have no time or inclination to develop an iPad app right now so I'm giving this idea to anyone who wants to run with it. If you develop it, if you could send me the beta, or at least a download code so I could use it, I would really appreciate it...

Really been enjoying the iPad experience, but feel it's missing something with regards to integration with the Mac. How about a feature where we can literally "flick" documents over to the iPad and back again. Maybe set a screen corner in Expose so that if you throw a Pages document into it on your Mac, it instantly transfers (wirelessly over your home network) and pops up on your iPad. Do a little work on the document on the iPad, then "flick" it instantly back to your Mac.

Perhaps an iPad app (with a Mac desktop companion app) can accomplish this. The idea is, I'm sure people would like to be able to work on a document on their iMac, for instance, then throw it over to their iPad if they go out for a cup of coffee, lunch, or just want to lay down in bed to work on it. Then once done, simply flick or wirelessly transfer the document seamlessly and instantly back to your Mac (without messing with different document versions and copying -- so when you transfer from your Mac to your iPad, it would transfer the original file and then once you're done on your iPad, it would transfer the original file back again so you don't have to worry about duplicates).

I wish Apple would have setup this integration from the get-go, but they didn't.

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

The functionality is already there, just with different UI design (Air Sharing). To my knowledge this UI design is out there for iPad to iPad but not iPad to home computer. I'd say give it time :)

3. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

The UI design is everything. I want something seamless. Some completely intuitive. Stupid-proof. Apple-like. You throw a document in one of the corners of your Mac and BOOM, it's front and center right on your iPad.

4. ckr4282 macrumors member

I see what you're saying. Kind of like Instapaper, right?

5. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I just use dropbox. Syncs any folder you want to the cloud and makes the contents available on the iPad. Going the other way is not as easy. Someone should hack the iworks apps to allow docs to be exported to the drop box app.

Edit: right after I posted this, I see this. Might have to buy Office HD.

6. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would need to be more seamless to go mainstream. With Office HD, you might go: iWork > Dropbox > Office HD > iWork then iWork > Office HD > Dropbox > iWork

Too many steps/points of contact. Needs to be iWork Mac > iWork iPad then iWork iPad > iWork Mac