Killer ExpressCards for 17" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2contagious, Apr 13, 2010.

1. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Hi!

Now that the new MacBook Pros are out, the 15" is getting closer and closer to the 17" (with the optional hi-res screen update). The one thing that really still separates them is that the 17" model still has an ExpressCard slot, which leaves more room for expansion. I am currently trying to decide whether to go for a 15" or a 17" and I thought I might ask you 17" MBP users: What are good ExpressCards you use/know of that are compatible with the MacBook Pro?

2. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

The ExpressCard slot and the extra screen real estate are why I'm getting the 17". I'm going to be getting a CF (compact flash) card reader ExpressCard to transfer pics from my camera (1DMkII) and I can see USB 3 ExpressCards coming out for the Mac in the not-too-distant future (next Sunday AD?).

3. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

The only beneficial one I can think of is an eSATA adaptor.

4. moonwalk macrumors member

I use my AT&T broadband Expresscard all the time on my early 2009 15" 2.9 MBP. I'll probably soon get an eSATA card for video editing.

My buscard slot on my 2003 tibook kept that machine running and expandable for years. When USB 3 comes out, there will surely be an Expresscard.

I actually got my 15" MBP because it was the last model with the slot. It's a serious omission not to have one on a pro machine, and I hope it comes back.

5. sth macrumors 6502a

Are there any ExpressCard34 SSDs that fit flush with the MBP case?

6. moonwalk macrumors member

7. chopper dave macrumors regular

Ditto, and that are not made by some random Asian manufacturer with no support, and barely compatible drivers that cause all kinds of problems when you sleep/hibernate?

8. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

I have the last MBP 15" that accepts the cards (Penryn GT8600M model) and I have tried to use it for eSATA before, but all of the cards I have encountered end up having that same piece of sh*t Sil3132 chipset with those crappy drivers / kernel module. It would be nice if there were an eSATA card that fit completely within the machine (just a port, not a big multitap dongle with 6 ports) and didn't require any 3rd-party kernel extensions.

I have a fast external drive that I use with FW800 (which isn't bad), but eSATA would be better.

9. gotzero macrumors 68040

The broadband cards were big a few years ago when carriers did not release USB versions (to prevent desktop use).

It seems to be that the Express34 standard never delivered on its promises. I do not miss it much.

10. moonwalk macrumors member

Sonnet is supposedly coming out with a single port/flush esata card, but I prefer dual port (two drives, raid, etc.) Sonnet is supposedly the best and fastest (true 3 gb/s).

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I have both a 48 GB SSD ExpressCard and a eSata ExpressCard for my MacBook Pro Late 2008.

Both are flush (though not pinpoint flush...SSD has the USB ring stick out just a millimeter or half) and I mostly leave my SSD in there all the time.

Other than those two and a flush card reader, there's not much else unless you want to add a graphics card or more USB/Firewire ports.

12. sp3ctre macrumors regular

sp3ctre

I am looking for a CF adapter for the Expresscard slot. I can't (in the UK) find any branded ones, only some cheapo ones on eBay. Is branded batter, and if so where can I buy one?

Thanks

13. eddieddu macrumors newbie

I bought a DIGITUS card recently (see http://www.amazon.de/DIGITUS-Express-300Mbps-Formfaktor-kompatibel/dp/B0017JPVZW

With this card I can
    • Boot from
    • Restore a Time Machine backup booting via SL DVD

So no drivers are needed and it seams to be stable so far.

14. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Sonnet Technology makes several excellent ExpressCards.

Their Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 is the fastest of its kind we have ever tested.

Ditto for their Pro Dual CompactFlash Adapter.

They also have cards that support USB 2.0, FW800, Multimedia Memory reader (SD card, Memory Stick, etc.), PCIe bus extender, and Gigabit Ethernet.

http://sonnettech.com/product/computercards/index.html#expresscard34cards

15. m85476585 macrumors 65816

http://store1.sonnettech.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_130&products_id=344
    It's not a Tempo Pro, but it should be good enough. I'll probably buy one since the latest MBPs don't have anything better for fast disk access. I'm using a BC338 esata card right now, but it's just too buggy (random kernel panics).

3gbps is impossible over expresscard because the PCI-e 1x lane is limited to 2.5gbps. The card I linked to above maxes out at 125MB/sec, while the Tempo Pro cards do quite a bit better (up to 200MB/sec), but they are more expensive. $200 isn't worth it for me, for what I will be using it for.

the eSATA expresscard thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=678101

It looks like all the Sonnet cards (or OS X) have compatibility problems with enclosures using the eSATA/USB OXU931DS chipset.

16. apw100 macrumors regular

17. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

deal on fastest SATA ExpressCard

Sonnet Technology Online Store is offering 15% off on the 200MB/s Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 that is compatible all MacBook Pros with ExpressCard slot. It's twice as fast as any other SATA ExpressCard for the MBP.

When you get to the page where you enter your credit card, there is a place to enter the "Specials/Promotion Codes" -- which is "BareFeats" in this case -- good until July 1st, 2010.

Start here:
    http://store1.sonnettech.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_39&products_id=264

18. Reapur macrumors regular

I had contacted Apple support to ask about USB 3.0 express cards for the new i5/i7 machines. There is no support built into OSX for USB 3.0, however the biggest issue would have been weather or not if the new machines had Expresscard/34 2.0 which supports 5 gb/s transfer rates. After talking to Apple support they had confirmed that the new i5/i7 17inch MBPs both have the new Expresscard/34 2.0 which would have the throughput necessary for next gen peripherals. So as soon as Apple releases a kernal update for OSX to support USB 3.0 we can then start getting all those nice speedy external drives.

19. JCCash macrumors regular

Check out these cards:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/notebook_accessories/PCMCIA_Express34_Cardbus

20. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I have some potential bad news. When testing SSD RAID 0 pairs on the 2010 MBP core i7 using the Sonnet Tempo Pro sata expresscard, the write speeds were slower than the same setup on the 2009 C2D MBP.

Check out the graph near the end of this article:

http://barefeats.com/hard133.html

21. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    14 months later and apple still not releases usb3 drivers for osx- what a joke
    It's obvious apple are vetoing usb3 to stop ppl upgrading to usb3, instead pushing us towards thunderbolt.

I understand intel has not officially adopted usb3 into their chipsets, and currently there are next to none thunderbolt periph available.

Apple should give us a firmware update that allows 3rd parties to Market peripherals via usb3

22. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

It's not Apple's job to write drivers for 3rd party accessories, that's the 3rd party's job.