Killer feature of the next MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrT8064, Dec 5, 2007.

?

Which is your top feature for the next MacBook Pro?

1. Magnetic Latch

44 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. User Replaceable Hard Drive

75 vote(s)
    50.7%
  3. Better iSight

8 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Cleaner Lines

21 vote(s)
    14.2%
  1. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

Magnetic Latch
    User Replaceable Hard Drive
    Better iSight
    Cleaner lines

Your thoughts gentlemen.

2. just02 macrumors member

It was a toss up between a magnetic latch and a user replaceable harddrive. Since the harddrive can be replaced regardless, I'm going for the magnetic latch.

I honestly didn't think I'd like the magnetic latch but it really cleans up the lines (no gaping holes) and it works very well. :)

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I would rather an LED 17" or a Hi-Res 15" than any of the options you listed. "Cleaner lines"? Really?

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

People who haven't lived with a Macbook have no idea how awesome a magnetic latch is...

5. makasin macrumors member

magnetic latches arent really that special. It just lets you open and close the comp without having to press a button. Doesnt sound like a "killer" feature to me. Ive had a magnetic latch on my old notebook and the world wasnt very different with it.:confused:

6. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Definately the user replaceable harddrive. I can't fathom why people would choose magnetic latch over something as brilliant as a harddrive that can just be popped out. You 'style over substance' freaks really are quite odd.

7. Rhodan macrumors member

QFT !

8. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

*shrug* Harddrive swapping is actually really simple in mbp's...at least they aren't ibooks...

/cry

9. MrT8064 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

10. jacekwo macrumors newbie

None of the above...

Why would any of those be of any use to anyone?

Personally, how about more processing power or more ram? How about a flash drive for the OS? Maybe the 17" LED screen? Some touch capacity?

Those would be cool. Who cares if there is a magnetic latch or a user removable hard drive. Why would i want a WEBCAM that is higher resolution. The bandwidth for most chats doesn't exist for higher resolution chat.

We need the next machines to have Power and not some little bells and whistles that are thrown into the MacBook to look cool and sell more units based on that. I wouldnt even think for a second that one of the optioned features could even come close to being called a "killer feature"

11. MrT8064 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

i see what your saying, but the power of machines is directly relative to price of components, a killer feature cant be 4gb of ram standard, or a 64gb flash memory, cos this would just mean the machine would cost 4000$

12. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I haven't lived with them and I do know what I am missing.

Do you have any facts to back that opinion up? :rolleyes:

Just kidding. I know what you mean, but it isn't that hard to replace the HDD and it only voids the warranty when you do it yourself. I can go to any Apple certified service center and get it done for $100 and within a few hours time if I bring in the HDD. Replacing the case with another case that doesn't exist yet is far too expensive and way beyond what I am willing to pay. Give me the mag-latch and I can swap whatever HDD out that I need..

13. jacekwo macrumors newbie

True. I will agree with the price thing. I am not saying to make this stuff standard. But a cap on Ram is really crappy. The power of the machine isn't that great, considering that there exist faster processors with more cores. The LED thing would cost similar to what they do now.

The flash type memory is cheap. Its essentially the same as a memory stick - so since i just bought a 4GB for 17$, popping four of those inside wouldn't cost all that much more. If you wanted to go up to 64gb, then you are right.

I would pay more to have my OS run even faster. You are talking about running at speeds that are not limited by the access time of a spinning disk. You could technically run at the speed of the bus, which is another thing that could use a little kick.

Personally, I have the newest model of the 17" macbook pro. Ive been using macs for the past 5 years of my life, always in the pro lines. This one is by far the most powerful machine i have ever used. However, I still notice a small lag when I am really giving it to the computer. I would like this to go away.

14. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I think you need a desktop... in particular a Mac Pro.

16. jacekwo macrumors newbie

I agree. lol.

That will be after christmas though. I am waiting for an update on those and I think its due in January.

17. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

considering that Sony's had a magnetic latch for at least 3 years before it got to Apple, I don't think its too impresive

18. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

19. mpw Guest

My Hotpoint fridge has had one for years!

20. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

definietly a replaceable hard drive
    the others are kind of nice, but being able to replace the hard drive is important, unlike the others.

21. djellison macrumors 68020

User replaceable hard drive is an important one - a pro machine should give users the option to replace the HDD. It's easy in the MB...beautifully easy. But a higher res ( 1680 x 1050 ) 15" screen would be a MAJOR bonus for me.

Doug

22. MrT8064 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

ok, i started this thread, and personally, i don't care about magnetic latches, just looking around lots of other threads, it cropped up quite a few times, so i thought i would put it on.

personally, i would love a user replaceable hard drive. one for mac and one fore games (windows(owch))

23. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Personally an updated GFX card that has 512vram or more. Hopefully the 8800 nvidia series...

I would like a magnetic latch, but its not a killer feature, neither is an easy way to replace hard drives, as currently I don't find it much of a pain in the MBP. I think the power should be on the other side IMO also. 2.6ghz minimum also...

As far as the OS goes, I was hoping Leopard would be scaleable...oh well.

24. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

How about a
    -BlueRay burner/drive?
    -LED backlight screen on all models
    -FLASH memory instead of a harddrive
    -espresso button
    -touchpad w/ gestures
    -even lighter
    - and finally a new design

25. tizzo macrumors newbie

Considering my drive is almost full, I vote for the user replaceable HD.