Killer glance/complication idea

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Gregintosh, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Not sure if this exists yet, and if it does I would love to have it!

The idea is to have a glance or a complication (for OS 2 when it comes out) that shows you how many bars of reception you have. This would be ideal because sometimes you are in dead zones and have to pull out your phone to realize it.

It would be nice if you could...

1. Look at your watch and instantly know your reception situation via a glance view. Or better yet, a complication when 3rd party ones are available.

2. Have the option to get a notification when your phone goes into no service and another one when it regains reception.

I'd pay at least $1.99 for this. ;-)

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I use RemoteBattery. It was free when I got it, not sure what it costs now. It will not tell you via notification about your signal level but it will let you check your phone battery, signal, and connection type via glance. Complication would be ok but I would/will use other complications over a signal meter. Rare that I don't have reception. Rare that I don't have enough watch battery so I don't use that complication either but I do like the phone battery glance as a reference.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Signal strength is a private API, but can be relayed through Bluetooth (which is how your car is able to pick up signal strength on the navigation screen). No idea how an app would accomplish that through Bluetooth, but mirroring can't be done as it's private API.

4. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

Just checked out RemoteBattery. It looks pretty good, but it only tells me if my phone is on 4G or WiFi, does not show me bars which would be nice.

I guess if that info isn't accessible though, then this kind of app won't be possible. Hope Apple makes it possible or a developer finds a way to make it work. There's $1.99 (minus apple's cut) in it for them if they do. :-D

5. thealiendad macrumors member

thealiendad

i posted a while ago that this would be useful especially as i live in a rural part of Devon in the UK which has very poor mobile coverage, but as has already been mentioned it is available via bluetooth as our car display shows my iPhone signal strength in 5 bars.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

A great idea for an app (at least for me) is an app that you can program to do certain tasks. For example, I could click the app at night to turn on my alarm, disable wrist raise, enable DND, activate sleep pulse and use Wink to turn off the lights. Then, in the morning, you basically have another macro running to do the opposite or similar. You would think it would be easy to do, but with Apple controlling everything - you never know.