Killer Music Idea for iTunes Music Store!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheSpaz, May 26, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I just had a brilliant idea for Apple's iTunes Music store!

MUSIC RENTALS!

The point would be... you rent an album and listen to it for a specified amount of time, and if you want to keep it, you pay the full price. If it turns out that it's not as good as you thought it was going to be, it deletes itself after the rental period is up! Think of Movie Rentals except with Music instead! This would be so much better than wasting $9.99 on what you thought would be a good album, only to never listen to it again.

Sometimes those 30 second clips don't do much for me. Especially since some of the 30 second clips don't even give you a feel for the whole song. Also, some songs sound like crap in my car (quality wise or poor mix job) because I have a sound system in my car with an amp and sub... and it's a hit or miss whether the song is going to have really nice clean bass or really muddy crappy bass that makes you wanna poke out your ear drums. You know what I'm saying?

Anyways... I've wasted a lot of money trying to find good quality music that is both brilliantly written, fun to listen to, easy to listen to and top notch quality all at the same time. There are some gems out there but, most of it is very questionable (like a lot of Indy bands). For example... anyone here with a nice system in their car ever listen to OK GO's newest album "Oh No"? Listen to it without bass and it's pretty good... any kind of bass and it immediately turns to crap.

Sorry about the rant but, I think Music Rentals would solve this problem.

I know what you're gonna say "Why not find it on Limewire or something first and then, if you like it, buy it?" Well... I don't like using file sharing software but, when I used to use software like that, I would actually support the artists that I liked by buying their music and the ones I didn't like, I would trash. (sort of the same thing, but I'd rather not have to do that)

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think that is what Apple wants.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

i stopped reading after i saw music rentals, terrible idea. reminds me of the zunes terrible sharing capability where u can play the song all of 3 times, whoopee!

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You don't understand. It would be more of like a test drive to find out after a few listens of the album, whether it's something that you want permanently or not. You see, with iTunes, you can't sell the songs at a pawn shop when you're no longer interested in the album... those songs are yours forever and there's nothing you can do about it.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

no i got the idea of the music rental, i still think its a bad idea, the rest was a rant on the crappy zune:p

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Speaking of Zune... I saw the most unbelievable thing this weekend! I saw BOTH ZUNE USERS in the SAME ROOM. I couldn't believe it. I've never seen that many Zunes in my entire life. Hahahahaha.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

OMG.

it must be a sign of the apocolypse!