Killzone 2 Reviewed

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

By the Official Playstation Magazine UK. Scans here:

http://personalgaming.blogspot.com/2009/01/killzone-2-opm-uk-review-scans.html

9/10.

Good to see the official mag still pointing out some flaws and not just giving it the obligatory 10/10.

First metacritic scores are coming in as well. So far we have a 90/100 (see above), a 100/100 (official ps magazine US ;) ), and a 99/100 (MEGamers).

As much as I have been telling myself "I DO NOT NEED YET ANOTHER FPS!", this is starting to look mighty tempting. Damn. Maybe I will pick it up after I beat Bioshock, Far Cry 2, and the Orange Box. :eek:

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll wait until Edge & GAMESTM review the game for an accurate and realistic viewpoint.

I don't trust official magazines, and haven't done so in a long long time.

Judging from previews I expect the game to get 8 or 9 out of 10 and similar percentage wise.

But 100/100 from Official PS US, that's just ridiculous :rolleyes:

I have the game on pre-order anyway.... :)

3. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

My friend pre-ordered 2 copies (don't ask me why...) so I'll be sure to try out the demo next month with his extra code! :D

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

But...Edge?

I'm a Eurogamer fan, m'self. I've found their reviews line up eerily well with my own opinions.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Games like GTA 4 and MGS 4 got a crap ton of 5/5, 10/10, 100/100 though. Just people freaking out over hype.

That said, Killzone is supposed to be the purdiest game yet and the action is supposed to be quite good albeit with different controls than we are all used to. I know a few people in the beta and they were throughly impressed. Maybe it can be a 9+ game.

edit: and that review from OPM UK? holly balls they cant write wurth a dam. "You're just a cog in the blood-slick war machine" :p

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You're actually listening to an Official Magazine for reviews :eek:

Between this and The Conduit it does look like I might be swayed into console FPS's again. Just it's not a good idea to listen to "official" mag reviews is all.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I like Edge magazine, generally they don't give easy review scores.

This month for example

Rolando - 7/10
    Rise of the Argonauts - 3/10
    Mushroom Men - 6/10
    Destroy all Humans - 3/10
    Skate 2 - 7/10

etc....

But yes I do actually like Eurogamer UK (online) as likewise I can often find myself agreeing with their review scores, though at times they can be a too forgiving or generous...

Fable 2 : Knothole Island (expansion) was awarded a mighty 10/10, which seems far too generous and yet the latest Prince of Persia only got an average 6/10 from Eurogamer. Whereas Edge gave it an 8/10 and I personally think that's more realistic score for that game.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm sorry but people talking about "less credibility" because its a official magazines should check out the other scores they give PS exclusive games.....OPM is harsh and they bash the *beep* out of exclusives.

This isn't the only review the game has gotten....apparently other euro mags have given it the same or a little less score as OPM. I've played the games multiplayer part before and I can tell you the game feels good.

Like I always say.....don't rely on reviews too much because its just someones opinion.

Bless

10. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Looks cool, maybe when I get a ps3 I'll pick it up.

ChrisN

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Eurogamer has to be the most inconsistent reviewer there is, I dont know what you guys see in them. Theres no rhyme or reason to them giving a game an abnormally high score or abnormally low score, its like theyll do crazy scores just for the publicity.

Killzone 2 is obviously going to be a quality game though so I doubt it will score under 9 and most places (well Eurogamer might give it a 6 just for ***** and giggles). It looks much better than the first one which was rather mediocre. Its the only console FPS Im actually looking foward to.

12. evan g macrumors regular

I preordered, so I should get a demo pretty soon here. Nowadays it's hard to rely on review sites these days, what with everyone being a little bias (not to mention GameRadar click here to figure out what I mean).

Hopefully Killzone 2 will live up to everything it was supposed to be, sales be damned! :D

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think I've said it that this game would be good(because I actually played the thing) but for the people that "wait on non-euro, non-PS3, credible, famous web sites" review then here you go.....enjoy.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/949/949161p1.html

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/killzone-2-review?page=3

There are others that reviewed it and gave it around the same score

Knock another one down as "killzowned" now as gamers we can enjoy another good game instead of bickering about who has the better exclusives(not that we do it on this site but I'm truly tired of the fanboy nonsense when I'm trying to get my daily gaming news)

Bless

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The same IGN who gave GTA IV a 10.0 and called it "Oscar worthy writing"? :rolleyes: that means soooooooo much

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Beat me to it :D
    No doubt KZ2 is a great game, I just wish these devs would add in keyboard and mouse support. Especially on the PS3!

:eek: At least with MS there was a smidgen of a chance it'd be ported to the PC. The option wudda been appreciated, is all :eek:

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm not dissing the game, I'll be there day one buying it for sure but IGN? Ugh...

18. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I won't be buying this game...

I got it for free ner ner

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I hate review sites, but it's always nice to see nice reviews on games I want.

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

*coughjerkcough*

21. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I've been looking for a new FPS to get, I think this may just be it. Since switching over to the PS3 from a 360, I definitely haven't found a FPS that has captured me like Halo or Gears did; I'm hoping this is the one.

22. evan g macrumors regular

I think the thing that made this one so good, was that the devs would post "Ask the Dev" threads on the Playstation boards and they would get all this feedback for what people found interesting in a game. The sixaxis sniping? That was an idea on the boards back in 2007, just for fun. And now it works great.

23. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/killzone2

95/100 so far at least. Looking good. Wired just gave it a 9/10 as well (sadly it wasn't Koller).

Maybe this can actually be the game for Sony that does really well. LBP had the same (actually better) acclaim and it has done well, but not amazing like Sorny needs. Killzone is a more easy to digest "zOmG!11one!! s00t t3H n@z!5!!" kind of game.

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm already seeing it now.....damn fanboys killing the fun out of the games

"tH3 gEarz iz b3sT!!!"

and the response...

"zOmG1!one!!? t3H kiLlZon3 2 iz dE b3ztEst!!!!111!1trwo....nooobz!!1"

Bless

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

bUt !t5 F[_]n 2 t@|k l!k3 d1s!