Killzone 3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Mar 1, 2011.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So did anyone else pick it up ?

After the great single player demo I was looking forward to it, however I hate to say i'm a small bit disappointed so far.

Mostly for two reasons.... 1 = Move 2 = 3D

1) Move & Killzone is a great idea in principal, in practice it's awkward and really quite useless. Having to point your gun off the screen in order to turn just doesn't work. It's implementation reminds me of the worst of Wii FPS's.

2) 3D. Yay another game to play in 3D = big big disappointment. So in order to play in 3D they decided to half the resolution and tone down textures and geometry = if the wii had Killzone.

Thank god my TV has it's own 2D-3D which whilst not making the game exactly the same it does a damn fine job and looks a whole lot better than the 3D implementation Guerilla has used.

Two killer features that Sony has been promoting are useless and poorly executed. A real shame.

It also doesn't bode well for Motorstorm Apocalypse in 3D :(

Other niggles with the game is that it doesn't appear to have any AA and there are some noticeable Jaggies despite the fantastic post processing. Whereas Killzone 2 looked great and appears to have had some form of AA. But other than that it's as you would expect.

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Do you have the move navigator? You can use that to move around rather than pointing offscreen, makes it quite a bit easier.

Honestly 3D is a gimmick, I wouldn't expect much out of it from anything. They have to cut down on the game specs or the game would be unplayable. I've always found it more enjoyable in regular stunning 1080p than 3D anything.

Try playing with the standard controller, its actually a pretty good game. I played through it a couple months ago, and while I did enjoy it, I am not really a huge FPS fan to begin with.

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that's what I have done matey.

Other than those criticisms aimed at it's 'enhanced' features - otherwise it's a solid FPS shooter, and I prefer it to Call of Duty franchise which I just cant get into. :)

4. 2 Owls macrumors regular

I've been using the sharpshooter to play Killzone 3 and compared to playing with the separate move controllers its superb, if you set up your dead zones to a smaller area then you don't have to move the gun/controller away from the screen to turn, I think mine are set to zero or as close as you can get it.

I'd say apart from a couple of crazy running around like a headless chicken moments, I'm about the same as I am with a controller.

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

May go out and buy the sharpshooter. Thanks for that :)

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I like the sharpshooter, but I don't feel as in control when compared to the standard PS3 control...but its a fun add on.

As for the game, I'm pretty happy with it over all....it looks amazing, and it plays pretty well too, I skipped KZ2, but I'm glad I picked this one up.

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The framerate is pathetic on some of the maps while online.

8. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I bought it along with the Sharpshooter but only messed around with it for a half hour.

Turning with the sharpshooter is aggravating. I'm pointing at the ceiling half the time, even with my deadzone maxed out. I'm thinking the size of the TV is a factor. Also hoping this is just part of the learning curve.

9. Cuddles macrumors newbie

Yeah, mess with the Move settings. Check this video out for info, it's very well made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=levDGb1FY6E at 7:20 if you want to get to the dead zone stuff.

I played it once (online) and haven't touched it since. I was so stoked when the demo came out, pre order it awhile back and everything. Just haven't gotten into it at all though. KZ2 I only played about half way through too. Damn Black Ops.

Mortal Kombat and Portal 2 should strip me off my BO addiction. I hope.

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Just finished this in Co-Op mode. Thoughts?

- Single player is still short, which is disappointing. We did it in 2 sittings, so call it six hours? There was no epic boss fight, and we didn't really feel challenged on the normal setting. Story was pretty good, though no Mass Effect, and obvious set up for a sequel.

- Split screen co-op uses a weird split. You get half the screen each, width-wise, but height-wise you get maybe 3/4 of the screen height, with one in the top left and the other bottom right. Resistance had a better version...

- The controls were much tighter, responsive and generally less "dead". Very happy with this improvement.

Didn't try Move, contemplating picking up the Sharpshooter to do so.

11. vong macrumors 6502a

vong