Kind of a unique SSD buying/upgrade choice...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TahoeDust, Apr 29, 2013.

1. TahoeDust macrumors 6502

I have a Mid 2009 13" MBP 2.53GHz Core 2 Due upgraded with two 8gb of ram and a 500gb 7200rpm HDD. I am surprised at how well this machine still performs. I have SSDs in SATA 3 desktops and the speed is awesome. I have two questions.

1.Would installing a SSD in a SATA 2 machine running a 7200 rpm drive give a solidly noticeable difference? If so how much?

2. I am choosing between a Crucial M4 256GB for $170 or a friend offered me a 512GB Toshiba SATA 2 SSD (http://storage.toshiba.eu/cms/en/hdd/solid_state_drives/product_detail.jsp?productid=428 for $225. Which would you choose. Would I notice any performance between the two being that the M4 would be running through SATA 2?

2. paul-n macrumors regular

You will fell a huge difference, but this is caused by random IO performance from the SSD. The maximum throughput is only important while copying files.
    I like the Samsung 840 SSDs which I already put into some MacBooks, they are fast and reliable. The M4 is also ok, but crucial screwed up some firmware updates in the last months.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I would always go with new SSD. You never know how 'new' with second hand SSD cause SSD has its life too.

I would consider getting a SATA 3 SSD cause you may be upgrading sooner or later which you can always swap your SSD to the new PC.

4. TahoeDust thread starter macrumors 6502

I hear you. The second hand 512GB has 571 hrs. Would that sway your choice?

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I think that's pretty new but you never know how often your friend reads/writes the SSD. Moreover, I don't think Toshiba's SSD is really that good. Though Apple uses it but it's slower than other brands. If you don't mind, go with the dual (SSD + HDD) setup. You get the space, SATA 3 (for future), and new SSD.