Kind of a weird question :/

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shallow ships, Jun 21, 2008.

1. shallow ships macrumors newbie

First of all, sorry I wasn't sure where to put this thread or who else to ask. I'm currently in AIT training for the army and am wanting to buy a desktop computer while I'm here (an imac of course) but when I fly home I'm wondering if it's going to be a problem to trasnport on the airplane or if I'll have to pay extra etc.

Thank you!

2. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I'm not sure about costs related to flying, but I don't think there's really the big stigma attached to moving an iMac as compared to a regular PC desktop (or Mac Pro, for that matter). In fact, they even make special cases for carrying/transporting iMacs, kind of like big oversized laptop bags.

My guitar teacher does recording and carts his 20" iMac with him from session to session when he does on-site recording. They're basically like a huge laptop anyway...

either that or you could get a MacBook Pro, but you exchange size & convenience for extra hard drive space and a bigger screen.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Most of the airlines are charging extra for everything these days
    Many are charging for ALL checked bags now
    Some, just for the second checked bag

Not sure how you plan to transport it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Don't forget about the option of having it shipped separately. I think UPS would give you a good rate (a really good rate) with insurance. No worries there. Taking "stuff" with you while traveling via air can be "cumbersome" to say the least.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yep, UPS tracks their shipments.

You wouldn't want to lose it to some airline baggage handler. ;)

6. shallow ships thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I could just wait until I get home in all honesty but the stores on base have good deals and don't charge tax. They'll also have awesome sales for the 4th. Maybe I'm just cheap and impatient :)

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

9. wahicequeen macrumors newbie

hi!

Why don't you just have it shipped beforehand, before your flight?

10. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

"Advanced Individual Training (AIT) is where you will learn the skills to perform your Army job."
    Although I'm retired Air Force, I had Army people who worked for me and I remember them talking about this.

11. shallow ships thread starter macrumors newbie

AIT is advanced individual training. It's specialized training that immediately follows basic training.

And as far as a MacBook goes, I've considered it but I'm really wanting a desktop at the moment (at least until I start school again)

I'll have to check into having UPS ship it for me.

Thanks again.

12. shallow ships thread starter macrumors newbie

A friend of mine told me to just check out macmall.com and have it shipped from there because they have pretty good deals and she was right but does anyone have any personal feedback about macmall?

Thanks!