Kind of disappointed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Renegade89, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Renegade89 macrumors member

I'm disappointed they didn't add in MMS or Copy/Paste (or at least text forwarding). Both seem easy enough to do, I wish they would have just done it.

2. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

They probably will in the next update...

3. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Or the alternative...

Apple has released 500 applications. Surely, with all the ones about to hit something will come up.

And how great is Pandora and the MLB app? WoW, flat out wow.

This thing, it changes eveything. And it's only begun. :cool:

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Over one year later and we're still saying this... :rolleyes:

Someone said copy/paste can't work (as an app from the app store) because the developer would need it to work in the background, and have access to all the apps to work properly. Someone could come up with a copy/paste app for sure... but you'll only be able to copy/paste within that one app which would be totally useless.

5. Renegade89 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly, copy/paste has to be worked into the actual software for it to be a system-wide thing.

6. Chronimac macrumors member

Copy and paste is an understandable complaint.
    But when are people going to realize that apple doesn't want to include mms?
    They want people to use email instead. Thats about all there is to it.
    If they wanted it in there, it would be there, but it simply does not come
    across as an important feature to them.

7. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Seriously.

Who REALLY uses copy/paste?

I get that it's kinda useful, but the way people bitch on here is like it's a broken phone because of it. My k770 has it, I think I've used it twice. It's not that big a deal.

8. tucker101uk macrumors member

So what? Its an obvious feature that people want, especially in the UK... Most phones dont have similar access to email, so if i want to send a photo to my friend who doesnt have an iPhone, i cant... like wise, if he wants to send my a pic, he cant...

This is old tech, and apple really should have their fingers on the pulse and include it...

9. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Just because you've only used it twice does not mean other people don't. I don't use GPS, a few other people don't, so by that standard Apple should've just left GPS off entirely?

Obviously there is a large enough group of people who do want copy/paste, and I think it's silly for Apple to exclude something so basic. MMS, fine, I can deal with, dead technology, whatever, but copy/paste, really now?

10. blorenz macrumors newbie

how do they expect an embrace from enterprise w/o copy/paste.ie-i get a call from a potential client, i enter their info into contacts, but now i make an appointment with them and i have to enter their info manually into iCal, and if i want to send them a document, i have to do it through google docs, which i can't even personalize to that client....how unprofessional and what a waste of time.
    c'mon apple, you can do better than this.
    bl

11. toss002 macrumors regular

I DO. I do use copy & paste, and for it business related. I don't have to explain how and why, but I DO use it.

Many other also use it, as "extraextra" indicated.

12. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Never said they should have left it off, just that I didn't think it was a major oversight.

For business users, sure, I can see your point. I still don't think it justifies the level of bitching from those just using basic phone functions and browsing though. That is all :)

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

People have been saying that since before the original iPhone was released :eek:

14. Chronimac macrumors member

Apple could care less about interaction with people who don't have an iPhone.

And it seems that your friends should be able send pictures to your email via there mms service, although it doesn't seem to work backwards (email --> mms) i tested this with my verizon phone.

But i really see mms the same as sms. They cost money. email does not.

free < spending money

15. cyrax83 macrumors member

Apple are touting this as "The best business phone. Ever", which with out copy paste is an absolute joke to begin with.

16. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Why would a consumer care what Apples wants them to do? They care about what they want to do, not Apple. If you send a MMS message to someones email address they may not get it for hours if they aren't around a computer or have a smartphone themselves. MMS is a very popular feature and should have been included.

17. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

MMS and Copy/Paste aren't apps - they are something that apple will inherently have to put into firmware as they are base level (global) features.

18. zign macrumors 6502

zign

I would like to have the Copy/Paste functionality on the iPhone, but can live without it. Sure, if they include it in an update, it would be appreciated.

MMS - never used it, never will. Most of my friends have email enabled phones now. I would have to agree with those saying that it is a dying technology,... mostly used by 15 year old girls :)

19. RobTuck macrumors regular

Not only that. I went to Spain recently. Obviously data roaming was switched off, as it would have cost a small fortune. My iPhone was reduced to being just a very basic phone.

I wanted to send a photo I took to my friend who was in the UK. How exactly do I do that? I could send SMS using my inclusive SMS allowance. I couldnt send a picture using any method as I had no data services, and no MMS. Thanks Apple.

20. MaxiMart macrumors newbie

21. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Didn't look very hard for a WiFi signal did you?

And the cost of sending an international MMS would probably be close to the cost of sending an email using roaming. But, who cares about that right?

22. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

23. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Example. Get an email with address info. Want to paste it into a new contact.

Get email with meeting info. Want to paste it into a new calendar event.

Yes, I guess we could retype it all buy why (plus addresses can be too long for me to remember in one shot as I get older and more senile).

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't see MMS ever coming for the iPhone. I do wish AT&T would get their asses in gear and give another alternative to "viewmymessage.com". That POS site is laughable.

Copy/Paste can't be solved in an app. It's been said before in this thread that the app would need to be able to run in the background and that won't happen. This was deliberate on Apple's part. Seems to me that the Apple developers have no use for copy/paste so it has fallen to the wayside. And I'm sorry, but the MLB app doesn't actually make up for the lack of copy/paste.

25. iPaul macrumors regular

Copy/Paste will be added one day.
    MMS, I am not sure about.