Kind of newb audio question... 5.1 audio

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by FSBW21086, Dec 29, 2007.

1. FSBW21086 macrumors member

I just purchased logitech z5500 speakers for 219 with free overnight shipping! Ive had 2 other pairs of logitech speakers before and have been pretty impressed with them especially for the money (z560).

I have them hooked up via mini toslink to toslink optical cable and processing my itunes music through the logitechs onboard dolby pro logic II encoder. After two days of tweaking every setting imaginable and trying audio enhancers to further enhance the experience (OSS3d, iWOW) I have come to learn that although in some certain circumstances using OSS3D makes some quieter recordings sound more up front and alive for the most part everything sounds better with all sound enhancers off and just using the itunes built in EQ.

Im pretty happy with these settings
    [​IMG]

I haven't been able to send a real 5.1 signal yet. (using VLC, Mplayer, or quicktime and 1080p blu ray rips which definitely have 5.1 output. ) The logitech control pod does however automatically encode the signal using dolby PLII movie mode and sounds great, im just thinking it could sound even better.

I also have another option to connect to the speakers. I own a presonus firebox firewire based sound card with digital SPIF coax output. The Logitechs also accept this kind of input. Would I notice a difference in sound quality if I tried this as well? Would I have better luck in getting 5.1 to work correctly?

I get alittle confused with how the logitech encoder handles the audio signal. (regarding onboard soundcard, firewire sound card) if any of it will make any difference. Basically, this setup sounds good so far, but im just wondering if I can make it sound even better and send a true 5.1 signal!

(the manual states when a 5.1 signal is present the pod will have options of DTS as well as Dolby Digital appear in the menu, I have yet to seen this and this is why I am assuming I am not sending a 5.1 signal.. )

2. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

In VLC you have to select encoded output and the correct track from the audio drop down menu. You have to the same in DVD player.
    In theory using a good coax is better than a TOSlink because the latter is subject to encoding into light and back and therefore more jitter. I don't think you'll notice a difference with anything from logitech though TBH. If you do decide to use your presonus you'll probably have to set it to AC-3 passthrough or a similar mode. I do that with my mbox from the prefs panel.
    Enjoy.

3. CEnTR4L macrumors member

seam here, my hometheater can't get/reads mbp DVD/any AC3 source as a DD or DTS, don't know why