Kind of worried...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Riseagainst540, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Riseagainst540 macrumors newbie

I have the money to order a new MB Alu. I've read through the Apple forums and on here and have seen a lot of problems involving the trackpad, battery cover, and keys. When I spend $1600, I would like it to be perfect.

My question is, do I have a high chance of receiving a perfect MB or is it a high probability that it will have a defect?

This is the only thing that's holding me back from ordering one. I'm about 150 miles from the nearest Apple store so any return is going to be a hassle.

2. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Its the luck of the draw... the same thing happened when the first iPhone 2G came out -- forums were flooded with problems, yet I bought 3 and all were perfect.

I wouldn't let it deter you from ordering one if you really want one ;)

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Just remember that it takes a very special kind of person to buy a product then come here and just tell us that its perfect.

The amount of complaints is way more than those of praise because , come on, who really starts a thread saying their machine is the way its supposed to be?

Just remember that if you do run into trouble you can always get it repaired/swapped at an apple store.

4. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Why not open it in the store before you take it home and make sure it is perfect for you?

That way, if you get a defective one they can either swap it out immediately.

Maybe one of their "buying appointments" (whatever they're really called) will work for you.

Anyone have any experience with opening one at the store and checking it out?

5. jalpert macrumors 6502

I was there on Sunday picking up the free printer nobody told me about when I bought my macbook. (It's a $100 printer with a $100 rebate, you pay tax. There is NOTHING to mail, they do the whole rebate there, you just get your check) Anyway, there was a kid there with his mom and he bought an external hard drive. While there he and someone from the store took it out, and she showed him how to set it up etc. I'm sure they'd do the same with the macbook.

6. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

This hardly seems necessary. Most MacBooks will be perfect coming out of the box. Plus opening it at the store take away from the gestalt of the "Apple experience".

The odds are in the buyer's favor of getting a "perfect" machine.

7. azdmelani macrumors member

Mine was fine... but I did check in the store to be 100% sure there was nothing wrong with it.

The free printer rebate ends today, and both computer/printer must be in your possession.

8. panic! macrumors newbie

I was in your position, OP -- wanting a new MB, but afraid of getting one with some glaring flaw that would make me feel like I got cheated out of my money (dead pixel, lose HDD cover, slanted keys, etc). In any case, I bought one and it turned out to be fine. As someone else mentioned, on forums like these, the negatives tend to be overrepresented (squeaky wheel and all that).

9. polar-blair macrumors regular

I order one soon after seeing the keynote. Then hurried over to macrumors to see what people were saying about the new macbooks and all I hear are people complaining. People wanted Aluminium cases, they wanted glass track pads, they wanted Led displays. then people say WTF!

"alumnium dents! I dont want a dents"

1. Dont drop it!
    2. Its better than plastic craking

"Wheres the button on the track pad I will the coating where of"

"I hate glossy I want Matte"

These kind of comments really made me worry about getting my new macbook. Still hasnt come yet 2 more weeks to wait. I like the new look and honestly if my new macbook comes in good order no dead pixels I will be happy. I guess change is hard even when people complained so much to have a change. Strange isnt it?

10. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Whell I just got my new Macbook delivered earlier this morning and its perfect -- it doesnt have any loose cover, slanted keys, or dead pixels.

As others have said, not many people come here who are happy with their Macbooks and praise them (some, not many). Don't be scared.

11. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

I was an unfortunate one that got a MacBook with a loose battery cover.

However, even that doesn't make my purchase a bad one. I'm not sending the MacBook back. I am going to try to get a new battery cover, but it's something I can live with. (Just hope it doesn't get worse with repeated insertion/removal of my MacBook from its laptop case.)

I say go ahead and buy it. If you're not satisfied, Apple seems to have an excellent replacement program judging by what I've read on here. People with even minor problems have been able to secure brand new MacBooks.

12. Riseagainst540 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm going to be ordering the 2.4 MB tonight and if anythings wrong, I guess I'll just call them up and mail it back in. Thanks for the reassurance guys. I've been wanting a MB for the past 2 years.

13. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The printer promo never ends. It will just start again with lower printer prices.

14. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

I got lucky enough to get one without any dead pixels, messed up keyboard etc. It is possible! Good luck! :)

15. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

Between this MacBook and my first gen iPhone, I haven't had a single problem (knock on wood). Yeah, a few of my keys are a little slanted, but that's it. No battery cover problems, no trackpad problems, etc. It really is luck of the draw sometimes, though.

16. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

With my 1st mabook a few months ago I waited till 3 weeks after it ended and still got the printer. As long as you got you mac during the promo, they seem cool about it.

17. Baffles macrumors regular

For what it's worth, I checked 5 laptops in the store, and the problems didn't spring up until a week or so later. Of course, I went back to the store and told them my issue, and they had no problem giving me a new laptop. The 5th laptop was mostly perfect, so I just lived with the minor cosmetic flaws.

18. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Don't even bother. I can pretty much guarantee that you will not be happy with anything you buy.

19. fewture macrumors regular

This is pretty much true

Whether initially or later, there will always be problems with things you buy - no matter how expensive.

20. Riseagainst540 thread starter macrumors newbie

So for $1600 I should get a defective unit out of the box and be ok with it?

21. Zadiek macrumors member

This is true. I took back my first macbook due to the slanted keys. I got a new macbook with a small chip in the aluminum. I am going to take it back one more time, and hope for the best. The thing is, either issue really isn't that bad. Like those guys said, there will always be something wrong with everything you buy. Unfortunately for me I have OCD and I am an EXTREME perfectionist. I hate living this way sometimes:mad:. Anyways, I am going to return one more time, and if there aren't any major issues I am going to resist temptation and just live with it..

22. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Why not open it before you leave and make sure there is nothing cosmetically wrong with it before you leave?

23. Zadiek macrumors member

I did, but just gave quickly looked over it, but didn't notice the chip. The point is, some people(including myself) are never satisfied. Wish I wasn't that way though...:eek:

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

On the plus side, if you have an issue and they offer a replacement swapping the drives is a cinch.

25. subq macrumors member

excellent point, take out your hd, get everything else replaced, pop your hd in the new unit and off you go!