Kinda Odd, Can I Return and Re-Purchase Same iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mikee.Nu, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Mikee.Nu macrumors member

Mikee.Nu

I scored out on an iPad last week at lunch (voucher) and used my debit card. Can I return and re-purchase it? I'd like to get the points on my amex.

I tried calling the local apple store but was on hold for a long time. Not sure how it works or if it needs to be re-received as a return before purchase or what not.

Thanks in advance

2. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Yea they allow that. If you actually go to the store itll be much quicker.

3. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Seems like a lot of trouble for a sleazy hare-brained scheme.....

4. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

5. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

so wrong its not funny...and its not sleazy....and its smart...

total strike out for you on this one

6. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

7. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Stop being a €ick bro.... If he's so hard up for cash he needs to exploit reward point program loopholes, maybe he should save his money instead of buying iPads......no response needed........flame on organic yippee.....

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Lot of trouble, little reward. Next time plan you purchase financing BEFORE the purchase.

9. UCBruins macrumors member

I wouldn't waste time asking on these forums. Just stop by Apple and ask them.

Besides cash back, my AMEX offers an additional year of warranty on top of the manufacturers warranty. I've used it on my LCD TV that was out of the manufacturer warranty with ease.

10. Mikee.Nu thread starter macrumors member

Mikee.Nu

Well I could have also mentioned that I have buyers protection on my Amex allowing me to return up to a year in the event apple were to release a quick update.

800 rewards points is not too bad either. Closer to my goal of free Hawaii tickets!

Rude people man.

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Debit = little/no merchant charges to the store
    Amex = much larger merchant charges.

If they accept the deal, they'll be giving away anywhere from 3-15$ in merchant fees.

12. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I never heard of that website before, but I clicked thru and have been laughing out loud over many of the one-liners there.

13. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

You should be able to do it if you are in the 14 day return window.

One time I bought something, but I wanted to put it on VISA because I got an extra year warranty. I didn't even bring the item to the store, I just brought the receipt and they refunded the money on my debit after they charged my VISA.

14. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

I spoke to an apple employee with a similar situation...

Long story short, once a product goes in for a return, it's placed in a certain inventory system and cannot be repurchased.

I was trying to help my girlfriend get her iPad by standing in line for her while she was at work, and if I was lucky enough to score one, we'd go to the store together afterwards and swap out the payments so she could pay for it on her card...

so yea...no go.

15. ma1234 macrumors newbie

What financing? Assuming it's not a Blue card, AmEx cards are charge cards, not credit cards. There is no financing or credit, just a promise to pay the balance in full at month's end. Plus using an AmEx provides one with automatic doubling of the warranty and short term protection from theft at no costs.

16. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

More like ignorant ;)

As for your query, it's easy as 1,2,3.. Should be no problem!

17. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

loopholes?

Sounds like an amex card is out of your reach...you certainly dont know anything about reward points.

18. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It should not be a problem - but it would be easier to go to the store and have it done, e sure to have both cards with you.

I'd do it just for the extended warranty. The points require a lot of spending to amount to anything worth while unless you have one of their premium cards with annual fees.

19. gmikesell macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

When I got mine I used a debit card, forgetting I had a gift card. I brought my receipt and they simply reversed my original charge and then immediately applied my gift card. I just walked in and was taken care of in about 15 minutes total.

20. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Maybe you can even get a discount since you'll be buying a used iPad! ;)

That true? interesting. but we can use any method to purchase we like. The only issue I can see with the deal is buying the same iPad that he's returning, because it's not in the system. He could always return and buy a new one (assuming they have them)

Wow. nothing sleazy about wanting your points.

21. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Theres no problem. What they do is charge the amount to your new card then return on the first card. They do this all the time!

22. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It does? I thought that feature was only for $90 days? (Extended return policy). I paid for mine with my new Blue card and knew about the double electronic points, as well as the extra year of warranty. I didn't know about the whole year return policy, though.

23. KandyKane macrumors 6502

It depends on your card (and your annual fee :/).
    I have the buyer protection for a year and 90 day insurance for theft on my Gold charge card, or maybe my Platinum credit card.

24. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

My friend tried to do the same thing with an iPhone 4 in June but for the buyers protection he gets on his AMEX. Anyway he was told that once the item is returned the system automatically places it in some different inventory so he cannot repurchase. Don't know if the process is different with an iPad or not, I guess it doesnt hurt to ask.

25. Mikee.Nu thread starter macrumors member

Mikee.Nu

It's for my platinum card and I think its 450 a year. Sounds like a lot but I travel often and the free breakfasts, complimentary meals and hotel upgrades alone pay that off.

And its not like I plan to return the iPad 2 after 11 months but it would be nice to know that in the event that crazy rumor of an iPad refresh to occur later this year happens I can at least exchang and pay the difference.

Plus I wouldn't need to get apple care for the added year of warranty Amex provides (didnt even think of that)

Thanks for all the info!