Kinda pissed at the Genius Bar...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by petrucci666, Jan 30, 2012.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

My base 13" MBA is 5 months old and I'm having two issues, one physical and one with software:

1. WiFi is dropping out often, I've gone so far as to installing Lion all over again to fix it. It works sometimes now.

2. There are some weird little spots developing on top of the screen. All the time. I try wiping them witha microfiber cloth and can usually get some of them off but they just reappear again. I don't smoke, drink or eat next to the laptop and I don't have a pet. My apartment isn't dirty nor do I take it to dirty places like the park.

I keep it in a ACME sleeve (made out of the scubasuit material)

I take it to the Genius Bar about 4 weeks ago, I explain everything nicely to the guy but he refuses to replace it. The unit is clearly faulty and I want to get a new one while I am under warranty.

What is the best tactic to get it replaced?

2. Acidsplat macrumors regular

Politely ask to speak with a supervisor or manager. They're usually required to get someone over if you request it, and explain your case to them.:)

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Be Kind - and SUPER PERSISTENT :) Call AppleCare

4. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Pics of the spots? I'm curious about that...

And yes, I think persistency is key when dealing with Genius Bar. Just revisit if it's convenient enough and try again, or speak to someone higher up.

5. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here is a decent pic:

[​IMG]

The short smears are from me trying to wipe them with a microfiber cloth but failing. I don't think 'heavy duty' stains are the right word for this, but they are not taken off easily. I'd need to wipe it down with alcoholic wipes but I've never seen this before and this shouldn't be happening.

At first I thought it was the keyboard leaving imprint when in clamshell mode, but I noticed these spots everywhere, places where the keyboard never touches the screen.

I'll make another appointment at the other Apple Store here, the less busy one and I'll be polite.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Try taking it to a different Apple Store and Genius Bar and let us know how that goes.

7. LordVic macrumors 68040

Thats still questionable wether that is "defective".

there is nothing on cursory view that I would consider defective.

The WiFi issue itself is known lion bug. there are hundreds of threads on these forums with people having drop outs, incorrectly reconnecting or unable to find their access points. This is known bug in Lion and there are a couple believed work arounds.

Try removing all your wireless profiles and resetting them up. This worked for me
    other's have reported moving their Blue Tooth profile down to the bottom.

As fo the dots on your screen. If they are appearing on the surface of your screen, and not on the inside. There is something in the surrounding area that is causing them. LCD's don't just "leak dots" on to themselves.
    are these dots on the keyboard? do they appear to be leaking out of anywhere? if not, chances are there is something environmental you're missing causing them. This is not a defect of the device.

Perhaps you talk alot and spit while you talk? I don't know, the list is endless what it could be, before even thinking that the display is broken

8. dasmb macrumors regular

That's a staticy glass screen picking up environmental dust. Wipe it with an anti-static wipe and problem will likely disappear. Your "scuba suit" may be inducing the static.

9. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

You've sneezed over your laptop - mystery solved!

10. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Yep. Second this one.

11. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I may be way off-track here, and I do not intend malice toward any manufacturer, but I believe your "spots" are being caused by the Acme sleeve.

I had exactly the same problem this summer, compounded by unsightly black smudges appearing underneath the Wrapsol covers on my 11" Ultimate. Wrapsol replaced the film and the black smudges reappeared within three weeks.

I tend to think the problem lies within the Acme product ... perhaps some sort of chemical reaction with the Wrapsol, but almost certainly a moisture problem within the sleeve. I quite like the sleeve itself, but I've ditched mine permanently.

I replaced it with a much more expensive leather sleeve from beyza-cases.com (also not particularly recommended!) and the problem seems solved for now.

12. scarred macrumors 6502a

Wait, your Macbook Air gets dirty somehow and you want them to give you a new one!? Worse, when they say no, you get mad.

I feel sorry for the Genius Bar people.

13. petrucci666, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012

petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keyword in your post: somehow

I don't know how it's getting there because I take excellent care of it. Like I said, I don't eat, smoke, drink, have pets next to the laptop. I keep it in a case and indoors most of the time. I have a few friends that have the same exact laptop and they don't have this, and we function in similar environments (home --> office)

Other problem is the WiFi - out of all of my colleagues and friends, I'm having these problems alone, not anyone else. This tells me that I'm an isolated case and deserve a replacement.

Also, I pointed out that I wasn't rude to the Genius Bar, I was polite and that has gotten me far with any type of complaint I've had, being rude never gets you anywhere except kicked out the door.

----------

That could be it but I've had this problem for a while and I've changed both sleeves for my MBA as well as apartments.

I used to have an Incase bag for my MBA but changed to the ACME sleeve because it was thinner and better for my needs. The spots were there in both cases.

Also, I've changed 3 apartments in the past 5 months and they aren't in the same areas.

I'm not accusing anyone, it could be my fault but I'd like to get it replaced to see if it persists.

The WiFi problem, however, is not my fault.

14. wpotere, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012

wpotere Guest

Your colleagues are lucky then as the WiFi issues are well known to be driver issues.

As for the spots, they are not a defect, they are environmental. Get some screen wipes and clean them off....:rolleyes:

15. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This. AppleCare is much more likely to help than the genius bar.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

YMMV. AppleCare is not likely at all to just immediately swap the OP out with a brand new laptop, which is what it sounds like he wants to resolve the issue.

If anything, AppleCare will have him ship his Air to an repair depot (that is outsourced by Apple), where if the WiFi-drop issue can't be recreated there, it'll be shipped right back to him with nothing done.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The spots on the screen are environmental. Its absolutely positively 100% nothing to do with the screen itself. It can be caused by breathing near the screen, sneezing, etc.

You don't want to mention to the genius about those spots because you'll be seen as an idiot. (No offense to you but I've been in IT a long time and when users bring that kind of stuff up its the first thing we think about them).

And as others said, be very polite and understanding. If they cannot reproduce the wifi issue there is nothing they can do to fix it and it may be the networks you are connecting to.

18. nufanec macrumors regular

You're spitting when you talk. This isn't a defect. It can be difficult to clean up but alcohol wipes and a microfiber cloth will get it done.

19. YosemiteSam81 macrumors member

YosemiteSam81

It absolutely looks like dried saliva to me. It is very hard to clean off sometimes. I use Phillips LCD screen cleaner with a microfiber cloth. A lot of other folks use iKlear.

20. DaPeeps macrumors newbie

I've had the spots on each Mac I have (iMac, Pro, Air). I thinks its just the type of displays Apple uses - they attract and show every particle of everything that comes across them - dust, spit, food particles, mucous from sneezes or coughs, skin - everything. Seriously - I know exactly what you're talking about because I am anal as hell about it - I am constantly turning off my Macs and holding them in various angles under light so that I can see every spot and remove it. I have found that the best method (for me anyway) is to lick the tip of my finger, lightly rub it on the area of some spots - just enough to get the screen wet - and use a microfiber cloth or the ones that came with the iPad 1 in a circular motion (think wax on, wax off). It works every time, and does the job perfectly.

Curiously - I dont notice this happening on any iOS devices I've ever owned. Just smudges and fingerprints :)

As for the wifi woes - I have noticed it on my Macbook Pro - but not my Air - at least not yet (its only a month old). Hopefully I don't :)

21. ZirkMan macrumors newbie

Looks like Air Humidifier issue

Don't you by chance use an Air Humidifier in your room? It looks like a water stone powder to mee. If you do, just change the filter. That should solve the problem.

Wifi is a known Lion issue as other have mentioned.

22. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Yup. Me Too.

Issue is caused by your sleeve.
    Wifi is Lion, I have the same issue. Well documented in other threads including one or two I made.

There is ZERO ZIP ZILCH reason for you to be requesting a new machine. You're a fool if you truly believe you're entitled to one because of a screen issue that clearly isn't the fault of the manufacturer. Lion wifi, yes, that's apple's problem.

Why don't you visit the genius bar and ask them if there's a way you can have your case with wifi escalated to to engineering. I've seen this done by geniuses while I've been at the genius bar in the past. They'll run something on your computer and send the info to engineering to either help them fix it or get advice.

Try to help the situation, not get yourself all worked up and make someone else feel bad when you go to them for help.