Kindle 3 wi-fi connection problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aussieinjapan, Sep 1, 2010.

1. aussieinjapan macrumors member

I would really like some help here please !

I got my Kindle 3 today (yes I bought one over the ipad simply due to the price) and Ive spent some time trying to connect it to my imacs airport wi-fi.

I have tried Customer service over at Amazon but sadly, no reply as of yet.

It seems that the Kindle wont connect to "enterprise or peer-to-peer networks".

So everytime, I enable sharing and my network shows up - it either wont accept the password or it tells me that "Kindle does not currently connect to enterprise or peer-to-peer networks"

Help needed please as I live in Japan and cant go to a hotspot (there are hardly any here)

Thanks

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

you will need to buy a wireless access point and connect the imac and kindle to it, if the kindle doesnt suppot p2p networking

3. aussieinjapan thread starter macrumors member

Danny, thank you for your prompt reply !!! My GOD you are a life saver. I thought so but I wasnt sure if I had to do that.

Any suggestions on a model ???

I do like the kindle (i bought it due to the price - only $139) but this wifi problem and the fact that, after trying to change the time and the manual being wrong about that (in the manual, it states - to change time go to page 2 in settings but there is no page 2, only 1 of 1). Im wondering maybe I should of gotten an ipad.

4. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Haha! :(

Yup! I can tell you exactly what model to buy! :)

What is you setup at home?! How does your iMac access the internet?! Do you currently have a home network?

Is the DPI higher on the kindle 3 so the text will be smaller and there wil b more text on 1 page so page 2 might fit on page one now!

5. aussieinjapan thread starter macrumors member

I got my wife to take a look at it because after spending half a day playing around with it - I thought I was going crazy.

We played around with the DPI so that wasnt the problem :confused: Page 2 really doesnt exsist.

My setup is:

modem to hub to imac (hub is a cheap Buffalo one and wired connections)

so I turned on airport and enabled sharing via airport and made a new connection called Kindle. After trying to access it thru the kindle - i get the message about networks.

Once again, thanks for your help.

6. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

you just need to replace your hub (Which I assume is a switch and your modem provides the DHCP services) with a wireless router and disable its DHCP server!

Somethign like a Linksys WRT54G would be ideal! :)

7. aussieinjapan thread starter macrumors member

So replace the hub with a wireless router - ok easy

How do I disable the wireless routers DHCP ???

Thanks for the advice (still waiting for Amazon customer service to get back to me - 6 hours and still counting)

8. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

read the manual or google it!
    or PM me when you have a router and ill help! :)

9. jamesbell4 macrumors newbie