Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
We have a Kindle and an iPad. It was very cool installing the Kindle app and watching as ALL of the books we purchased on the Kindle were synched with the app. As far as reading experience for me personally I prefer the iPad. eInk is nice particularly when outside, but I like the 'rich' look of the iPad Kindle app. You can adjust it to white, sepia or inverted white text on black background.
The ease of page turning (swipe or screen tap anywhere) versus pressing a dedicated button is also a winner in my book (pun intended). The weight issue is something I'm going to watch - 1.5 lbs. is a lot when compared to the 10 oz on the Kindle.

I don't necessarily think Amazon is discouraged by diminishing the Kindle's allure. They make the vast majority of their Kindle-related money not through hardware sales but through content sales. Opening up the Kindle store to other devices is a very attractive business model.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Are you saying it's easier to read on iPad than on Kindle? Why? So far most people said otherwise. Kindle is much lighter, resolution is better, reading outside - no comparison at all (because of e-Ink).

So far I've read that the Kindle is better for outside reading. The iPad is better at reading inside, in low light situations (ie: in bed). The resolution for the iPad seems to be no better / worse then the Kindle. And EyeStrain, is very dependent on each person.

Just depends on what you want to do with it, and it will vary from person to person, so everyone should make their own decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.