Kindle app and referencing?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by redout, Sep 22, 2011.

1. redout macrumors member

Hi,

Does the kindle version mirror the paperback version? I have tried looking up the paperback and kindle version of some books on amazon and the total pages for each seem to match. Just wanted to double-check as this could be an issue as regards citing and referencing in university.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it typically matches the hardcover of the same edition -- books are typically on Kindle before they become available as paperback. However, as far as citations go (from a US academic perspective), as long as you're citing the publisher and the page number in your edition of the book, it's really not your issue if the book has other editions with different page numbers....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k3read_format?nodeId=200505500&#pages

3. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I would doubt this would be an issue for a number of reasons. If challenged you can state you are using the eBook version. You are also assuming they are using the paper version. The world is in transition regarding this issue. Ask around at the university to see what they have to say.

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

So what page am I on?

None of my eBooks have page numbers.

If I change the font size I can change the number of pages in the book from 500 to 2500, no problem....

-t

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Here is a quick copy and paste from a kindle textbook I have. When I did the paste it also cited it for me as you see here, giving the Kindle location. I have been doing this in my classes and assignments, and so far no flack from my instructors. But it clearly does not tell you what page this would be on in a physical book, and that can be frustrating.

Loney, Kevin (2004-09-07). Oracle Database 10g The Complete Reference (Osborne ORACLE Press Series) (Kindle Locations 21021-21022). McGraw-Hill Osborne Media. Kindle Edition.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^
    Looks like the "Kindle Location" numbers are substitutes for page numbers in the Kindle eBook versions

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I really like being able to copy and paste and the citation being filled out for me. It makes it much easier, IMO.

There are many more locations than there are pages. Not sure how to map one to the other though. However, searching works pretty well, so if a page number is cited, you could still find it in the electronic version pretty quickly. Now, if I post that entry somewhere and someone has a physical copy of the book and wants to find it, I have no idea how they will go about doing that.

8. redout thread starter macrumors member

Did kindle not release an update to incorporate the actual physical book numbers into kindle versions?

Was this update incorporated into the iPad version of Kindle?

9. redout thread starter macrumors member

That was quite helpful.

Thx

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When the Kindle first came out, it had a "location" code. For a typical book these run from 0 up to some 2000-12000. As far as I can tell, these units are somewhat arbitrary / meaningless from book to book. That is, two books of similar print length will have markedly different total #s of locations (two 250 page books might have 2800 locations and 5000 locations). However, the location specifies a unique point in the Kindle book that is consistent across devices. Typically the page shows a range of locations at a time on any device, depending on font and screen size.

Later, Kindle (and most others have this too) added page numbers. These are not dependent on font as noted above. Like the link I posted, they reference the print book's pages. The caveat is that, depending on your screen and font size, a screen may show less or more than one page, but I believe you can select the text and see it's page/location codes. You have to have the appropriate version of the hardware/software that supports this.

If you're a real stickler, I guess citing locations is better on the off chance that the Kindle edition is somehow different from the print edition, but I think this is kind of ridiculous, since if you cite the page number, the print and Kindle readers can both find where you are, and if you cite the location number, anyone who picks up a print copy of the book will not be able to find your citation easily.