Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
For those who have the new iPP and kindle device; do you still read your books on the kindle device or switched over to 10.5 iPP using the kindle app?

I'm traveling and would like to just bring my iPP as opposed to bringing both devices. But I'm finding reading on iPP is slightly cumbersome.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It's not exactly the same but overall sizing is close - after getting my Air 2 I quit using my Kindle devices (original, PaperWhite, and Fire) altogether (300+ books on it and it's my most used app).

Reactions: YaBoiD

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I have a 4th generation Kindle and a 12.9” iPad.

I do almost all of my reading on the iPP. I don’t find the large size too hard. I read in landscape with the 2-up view. I’ve been thinking of getting a Paperwhite to read in bed, but it is a low priority.

The only tome I use my Kindle is at the beach, or some place I can’t bring my iPad. A theater near me doesn’t allow iPads, so I bring my Kindle if I want to read there.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I like to minimize the gear I take along, but my Kindle always seems to come with me. No substitute for the screen and light weight. I read on my 10.5 but its just not as good as holding a small, light device that is easy on your eyes.

Reactions: ericwn

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
I decided to test this theory by just taking my iPP as one all device for out of town trip. Will see how it goes and if I feel like it's too much, heavy or whatnot then I guess I'll throw my paper white in as well.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I read on my iPad mini and have for years (and a Kindle Fire before that). But I really would like to get a Kindle Paperwhite as the older I get the harder my iPad is for reading for a long time. I just got my son a KP for prime day and am kicking myself that I didn't get one for me too, but I wasn't sure if he'd like his or not, so I thought I'd take his over if it didn't work out. However he likes it so much that he is now staying up late to read and reading in bed first thing in the morning. He's only 9, but it has been a struggle to get him to read anything other than graphic novels (even though he has excellent reading and comprehension skills).

At any rate, I don't think you can beat the readability of an ereader device with the e-ink type of technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.