Kindle DX $489 vs. iPad $499

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pumapayam, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Pumapayam macrumors member

Pumapayam

Kindle DX $489

9.7 in diagonal black and white
    824 × 1200 pixels
    18.9 oz (540 g)

4 GB

No WiFi
    EVDO/CDMA

iPad $499

9.7 in diagonal color
    1024x768 pixels
    24 oz (680 g)

16GB

WiFi
    No GSM

That $10 difference looks ridiculous now huh!

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I agree that this may force Amazon to drop the DX's price, but you did forget one key feature, namely

Kindle DX: Free unlimited monthly wireless access
    Apple iPad: Wireless plans starting at $15/mo.

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Even with the wireless plans, if amazon doesn't lower the kindle's price, this will dramatically cut into the DX's sales

4. bossxii macrumors 68000

While I don't use an Kindle, I'm pretty sure the e-ink screen will still be favored by heavy readers who will find the e-ink superior for reading.

I personally would use this type of device for emags and newspapers vs actual books. The price was very surprising (in a good way) to me. I was betting when they tossed up the $999 on the screen they would make a big deal about price then end up at $799 and get the same Oooo's and Ahhhh's from the crowd. Dropping that to $499 I was like holy ****, that makes everything I just watched that much better.

I have purchased (and returned) several devices such as the MBA, netbooks, tablet media devices (such as Archos 5 and 7) and they all felt rather clunky and cheap, or couldn't handle the load of HD video. Having a 10 to 12" device for video and streaming content is what I have wanted for several years. If this iPad performs as shown it will be a winner in my book.

5. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Wireless access to what? Downloading books and a really slow, black and white web browser?

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Be fair to the Kindle and list that its screen is e-ink, which is much more realistic compared to paper than the iPad's LCD. I also don't know that many people buy the DX since you can get the regular Kindle for $260.

7. masmullin macrumors member

As an owner of a Sony Reader, I have to say that eink is terrific for reading.

the Kindle DX is supposidly pretty bad with PDFs, it doesn't link then, no annotation etc. Which is the only reason I haven't bought one

Apple will probably be able to do great things with PDF, but since they've gone with a LCD screen I simply cannot buy the thing (I'll get eye strain from readin)

sigh.... two devices which are almost, but not quite :(

8. Pumapayam thread starter macrumors member

Pumapayam

I agree, and yet I don't

You don't have to be on any wireless plan to get books directly to your iPad. Wifi is a great free option.

Plus, I am comparing the non GSM iPad at $499, not the $629 GSM+WiFi version on purpose for a direct price war.

9. mcnicks macrumors regular

What sales?