Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
With my fourth iPad Air entering day three of mild yellow on it's left side I am hesitant to exchange. I am curious, if I were to switch to the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 how the whites and uniformity of the screen would compare.

Does anyone have both who could offer real world opinion and whiteness photos? I prefer the Apple ecosystem but do a lot of kindle reading so if the screen is much better if may be tempted.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Personally I'd either learn to live with it or replace it. I'm too entrenched in the Apple ecosystem to switch.

I have a list of cons for the Kindle off the bat and some pros. At this point screen quality is emerging as a major factor.

I have an iPad Air, and until about 8 months ago I had a Kindle Fire (not HD, the 7" version) at that time I sold the Fire and went with a Paperwhite. While I liked the Kindle Fire a lot for what it could do, to me it became a distraction for reading - it just did too much. I had a iPad 2 as well, so I did not need it for the tablet features.

If you are looking for the best reading experience, IMO, the best option is still a e-ink ereader like a Kindle Paperwhite. The screen is perfect for reading and it has a back-lit display for night or outside reading ease. Plus since it is not a tablet I find myself just reading, not checking email, Facebook, etc.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I have the second generation paperwhite and use it all the time! :). I do read on the iPad here and there as well as web browse so for tablet use
the HDX would do much of what I need while being lighter. With obvious issues of os inferiority, a perfect screen would be a huge advantage. My screen is just slightly off, enough to bother me but not as bad as others report which makes me want to avoid roulette.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I use a Kindle Fire for corporate training and I can't say I'm not a big fan of them. Nothing seriously wrong with them but the interface isn't very intuitive. It also has a very dumbed down feel to it. I can see it's make work for some people but I'm not one of them. Of course that obvious since I'm here. :) Also I'm not sure I would trade a slight yellowish coloring for a bright blue light leak.

pizzamampf

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
I own the ipad air (had to change 4 times to get a good one).
For my wife I ordered the Fire hdx 8.9.
What shall I say, after 3 replacements I gave up. All had Blue tint on the right and yellow tint on the left after several minutes of use. Perhaps im too picky after going through 4 airs and 5 rMinis.
But the issues with the hdxs were very obvious and even my wife saw the yellow tint without me telling her about it.
I ended up in buying the new lg g-pad.
Screen is not perfect but much better than the rMinis I saw. Besides the price is lower so that I can accept a not 100% perfect screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.