Kindle Fire In The UK?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Goftrey, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I've just come across the kindle fire and I rather like it! It looks like a great budget tablet, but it's not in the UK, will it be released over here at all as they haven't even discussed a UK release yet... If they're not releasing over here can someone suggest another budget tablet (under $200/£125)

Cheers guys :p

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Can you get the new Nook tablet yet over there ? It cost a little more then the Fire but most of the reviews I have read rate it better then the Fire (mostly because you can plug in more storage space)

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I don't think a UK release date has even been mentioned for either device.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I doubt it ever will, you still can't get the Kindle DX over here, which is ridiculous.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I haven't seen one mentioned.

6. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

No Nook, no fire... We're stuck with the PlayBook, the most wonderful device ever made (sarcasm)

I love the iPads, but they're just too much, I'd rather spend £400 on a Mac...

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It should have been possible. I ordered the Kindle DX International version, from Amazon. :confused: I don't know about eBook support, but I was able to purchase an ebook from Amazon.com (i.e. USA). It may be different in the UK, since you have your own Amazon online shop.

Anyway, there's an interview with some executive from Barnes and Noble (maybe the CEO?), who said that selling the Nook internationally is in their plans for 2012.

8. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Yeah, downloading books is probably fine, but the hardware itself isn't available from Amazon. Which seems like nonsense to me. I'd sooner buy one of the DXs for reading than an iPad and I don't have that option.

9. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

We can buy the eBooks and the normal Kindles over here. But not the Fire...

10. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Yes. And no DX. Which is what I was referring to.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's Odd

Because when I noticed the heavy discounting on the Kindle that started here a month or so after the Fire's release, I assumed we would be seeing it appear here shortly after the US release.

It appears we may not get it at all. As for alternatives, I've played with a lot of the Android stuff, and it just isn't well made, or properly functional when compared to the iPad.

Maybe you could grab an iPad 1? Still a good device, and a lot less than the iPad 2.

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Even if it did come to the UK, it wouldn't be £125. The $199 price in the USA does not include tax, so it will be at least 20% more expensive than that.

Likely price would be somewhere above £150 - maybe even £175?

13. Abstract, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well it's not even being sold anymore in the US. It doesn't appear on Amazon US' website. :confused:

Or are you referring to before? I bought mine 16 months ago.

Anyway, the Nook may be sold internationally soon, so if you can wait, then wait. ;)

14. NutsNGum, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I wouldn't bet against it being £200. And given that the same 6" kindle is $79 in the US and £89 here, it wouldn't surprise me. I really do like the Kindle, however. It's a great device, just a bit more expensive in the UK. Then again, what isn't?

Abstract - it's never been available from Amazon here.

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The $79 Kindle isn't on sale in the UK. The version available here costs $109 in the USA (look for the "without special offers" one).

16. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

It's an EU issue with the Kindle Fire being released (patents and others).

But, seriously, the Fire is suXX0rs for reading, compared to e-ink. If you want a Fire, just buy a second-hand iPad. If you really read a lot, the Fire is a horrible choice.

If you really want a "cheap tablet" go for a Nook Color and root it. There's a ton on ebay.co.uk, as well as a few kindle Fire options.

----------

also for future reference you should be thinking $1:£1:€1 with VAT and social benefits.