Kindle Fire In The UK?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I've just come across the kindle fire and I rather like it! It looks like a great budget tablet, but it's not in the UK, will it be released over here at all as they haven't even discussed a UK release yet... If they're not releasing over here can someone suggest another budget tablet (under $200/£125)

Cheers guys :p

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Can you get the new Nook tablet yet over there ? It cost a little more then the Fire but most of the reviews I have read rate it better then the Fire (mostly because you can plug in more storage space)

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Can you get the new Nook tablet yet over there ? It cost a little more then the Fire but most of the reviews I have read rate it better then the Fire (mostly because you can plug in more storage space)
I don't think a UK release date has even been mentioned for either device.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
No Nook, no fire... We're stuck with the PlayBook, the most wonderful device ever made (sarcasm)

I love the iPads, but they're just too much, I'd rather spend £400 on a Mac...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I doubt it ever will, you still can't get the Kindle DX over here, which is ridiculous.
It should have been possible. I ordered the Kindle DX International version, from Amazon. :confused: I don't know about eBook support, but I was able to purchase an ebook from Amazon.com (i.e. USA). It may be different in the UK, since you have your own Amazon online shop.

Anyway, there's an interview with some executive from Barnes and Noble (maybe the CEO?), who said that selling the Nook internationally is in their plans for 2012.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
It should have been possible. I ordered the Kindle DX International version, from Amazon. :confused: I don't know about eBook support, but I was able to purchase an ebook from Amazon.com (i.e. USA). It may be different in the UK, since you have your own Amazon online shop.

Anyway, there's an interview with some executive from Barnes and Noble (maybe the CEO?), who said that selling the Nook internationally is in their plans for 2012.
Yeah, downloading books is probably fine, but the hardware itself isn't available from Amazon. Which seems like nonsense to me. I'd sooner buy one of the DXs for reading than an iPad and I don't have that option.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Yeah, downloading books is probably fine, but the hardware itself isn't available from Amazon. Which seems like nonsense to me. I'd sooner buy one of the DXs for reading than an iPad and I don't have that option.
We can buy the eBooks and the normal Kindles over here. But not the Fire...

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's Odd

We can buy the eBooks and the normal Kindles over here. But not the Fire...
Because when I noticed the heavy discounting on the Kindle that started here a month or so after the Fire's release, I assumed we would be seeing it appear here shortly after the US release.

It appears we may not get it at all. As for alternatives, I've played with a lot of the Android stuff, and it just isn't well made, or properly functional when compared to the iPad.

Maybe you could grab an iPad 1? Still a good device, and a lot less than the iPad 2.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Even if it did come to the UK, it wouldn't be £125. The $199 price in the USA does not include tax, so it will be at least 20% more expensive than that.

Likely price would be somewhere above £150 - maybe even £175?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yes. And no DX. Which is what I was referring to.
Well it's not even being sold anymore in the US. It doesn't appear on Amazon US' website. :confused:

Or are you referring to before? I bought mine 16 months ago.

Anyway, the Nook may be sold internationally soon, so if you can wait, then wait. ;)

Last edited:

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Even if it did come to the UK, it wouldn't be £125. The $199 price in the USA does not include tax, so it will be at least 20% more expensive than that.

Likely price would be somewhere above £150 - maybe even £175?
I wouldn't bet against it being £200. And given that the same 6" kindle is $79 in the US and £89 here, it wouldn't surprise me. I really do like the Kindle, however. It's a great device, just a bit more expensive in the UK. Then again, what isn't?

Abstract - it's never been available from Amazon here.

Last edited:

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I wouldn't bet against it being £200. And given that the same 6" kindle is $79 in the US and £89 here, it wouldn't surprise me. I really do like the Kindle, however. It's a great device, just a bit more expensive in the UK. Then again, what isn't?

Abstract - it's never been available from Amazon here.
The $79 Kindle isn't on sale in the UK. The version available here costs $109 in the USA (look for the "without special offers" one).

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
It's an EU issue with the Kindle Fire being released (patents and others).

But, seriously, the Fire is suXX0rs for reading, compared to e-ink. If you want a Fire, just buy a second-hand iPad. If you really read a lot, the Fire is a horrible choice.

If you really want a "cheap tablet" go for a Nook Color and root it. There's a ton on ebay.co.uk, as well as a few kindle Fire options.

----------

also for future reference you should be thinking $1:£1:€1 with VAT and social benefits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.