Kindle Fire or iPad1?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by graygmc, Nov 20, 2011.

1. graygmc macrumors newbie

The $200 kindle fire is at a great price point to where I would want to spend on a tablet. I dont plant on using it eveyday so I dont want to spend $500 on an iPad2. But then I was thinking if I only spent around $100 more I could buy a used iPad1. So which would you guys buy?

2. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

Don't go the iPad 1 route

I would highly suggest going for the kindle fire the iPad 3 is going to come out pretty soon do the 1 will be even more behind Lso the kindle fire has a dual core processor but if you want a low budget tablet like that I would suggest the nook color it is more of an actual tablet and runs android for only 50 dollars more

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

uhh what seems to be your uses?
    that would help us out greatly :)

also there are many other Android tablets whose prices are getting lower :)
    I saw a Xoom, Thrive, Playbook, Iconia for about $250 -- $350 just recently
    so look around you might find one of those for a decent price?

but as far as iPad vs Fire. I say it depends mainly on your uses :)

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

These are two distinctively different devices that get compared simply because they are tablets.

Buying used you are taking a risk. If you plan on reading ebooks, emails etc, the Fire is far superior. I have both. The iPad is great for the Web and using some of my Apps, but it's a pricey device.

Apples greed & masterful marketing assures they get 30 to 40% margins when the rest operate at far less. It's the reason Apple has so much cash on hand. That fruity logo costs us all plenty.

6. applefan27073 macrumors member

applefan27073

Depends on your needs

The Kindle Fire is basically (in my opinion) primarily a touch screen version of the Kindle eReader. The iPad (whilst more expensive) is a tablet device.

If you would like a touch screen eReader with the ability to play a couple of songs, the odd movie and occasionally check an internet site, the Kindle Fire is a great option at $199

However, if you would like the flexibility of apps etc... I would go for the iPad.

Hope this helps!:D

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Agreed

Don't buy an iPad 1 unless you can get it for a lot less than the Kindle....It's a good device. I prefer my ipad2 but they cost a lot more.

8. jijoya macrumors newbie

What I'd do if I didn't already have an iPad 2 (and Amazon's media library was available in my country) is I'd get the Fire now, then save up for an iPad 3.

That way you'd end up owning two new tablets that aren't interchangeable because of the Fire's Amazon-centric approach which the iPad lacks, and the iPad's ton of apps, iTunes and Apple bookstore that the Fire lacks. In contrast, a second hand iPod 1 would certainly end up redundant when you decide to upgrade it (which you will, it's going to be 2 generations behind fairly soon).

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Go buy a Fire.

When you are ready for a real tablet, the iPad 3 will be shipping.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Based on your budget and needs, go for the Fire. From the reviews I've read its an excellent tablet.

While they made some sacrifices to fit it into the 199 price point, Amazon was very apple like in its approach. They got the content and apps lined up before the release of the tablet. The 7" form factor is an excellent size for tablets, its quite handly, fits inside a coat pocket or purse.

11. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

For $199 you can't go wrong with the Fire. When the iPad 3 comes out you might be able to get a great deal on the iPad 2 if you find you want more

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I have both. They really are different devices, so as others have said you need to think about what you want to do with it. Do you already have another iOS device and apps?

Posted from my kindle fire.

B

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I feel like it says something if you have both devices and you posted from your Fire (since it would seem like something like posting to MR would be more of a task the iPad should excel at).

I've been thinking about this too, in part because I'm unsure how much I want a tablet and I'm also somewhat nervous I'll break it. I like the lower price point, so the base original iPad or the Fire is about what I want to spend on a tablet (I'm not sure there's a device that's right for me at that price point, but that's the price point I want).

The iPad has great resale value, although it might be cheaper after the iPad 3 comes out. One thing I'd be worried about before I bought an original iPad, though, is future software compatibility. At two generations old, my 3GS is getting laggy with new software (even things that ought not to be that challenging). The Fire might be a cheaper, less powerful device, but at least software will be written to that less powerful spec. As an analogy, the Nintendo DS is less powerful than the PSP, but it has good software written to that lower spec, and so most of the time it isn't really an issue. In contrast, iPad users would be using software written to the spec of the iPad 2 (now) and soon the iPad 3.

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

iOS 5 works well on the iPad 1, and as it has just come out I wouldn't worry about longevity too much.

For anyone submersed in the Apple ecosystem, particularly with lots of apps, using iCloud etc, the iPad 1 would be the easy choice here. It's worth remembering that, while the competition is improving, no one has really 'cracked' the iPad yet. Smartphones are a little different, manufacturers have taken the iPhone design and started to break away, but for tablet computing the iPad really is where it's at - and yes, I mean any iPad.

Similarly, anyone in the Amazon ecosystem may well find the Fire a natural extension of that and should probably go that way.

I still think the original iPad will prove the better tablet.

15. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I have the iPad 1 if someone offered me $100 and a kindle fire in exchange for it, I wouldn't even think about swapping. The iPad can do way more.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have an iPad 1 and I played with the Fire this weekend. I would not want a Fire over the iPad 1 right now. I believe the Fire can be great but it is not my iPad. It has nothing to do with form factor, the iPad was more fluid to me.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I didn't say they were both at hand. ;)

I'm traveling with my iPhone 4, Kindle Fire and MBP. The KF was the right device of those three. The iPad 1 is thousands of miles away.

B

18. malman89 macrumors 68000

If I could throw a wrench into the discussion, I would say get the Nook Tablet. $50 more, just as good of a e-reader, much better multimedia device, more internal space, SD expandable memory, 1 GB RAM vs. 512 MB (though same speed processor).

Also going to be rootable in no time and much more customizable in terms of the Android OS if you're into that.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just picked up a Fire a couple days ago. I played around with it. It's fine for a tablet and stuff, but I find it still feels slower than the iPad. For some reason the Fire also feels quite bulky.

20. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Why people continue to compare the kindle to the ipad is beyond me. It is like comparing apples and oranges. The kindle Fire is still shines as a reader and does video,music, apps and some limited web capabilities. The ipad really outshines as a tablet that can do just about everything as it was designed to do which is as a full blown tablet. I have both kindles and ipads and like both equally for their own merits, but I never would try to compare them together they are two different puppies.

If you want something right now either get the Fire or a Nook if you plan to use it mostly as a reader. Just remember you are talking android platform for the fire and nook with the ipad running OS. Apps etc you get for an android device won't be usable onthe ipad and vice versa. If you can wait until spring do so and get the next ipad. Personally I would not get the ipad 1at this point.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Who, who has tasted some apples and some oranges, does not hold a personal opinion, such as, "I will eat an Apple if it's what's available, but I prefer a good orange?"