Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexSykes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
East Midlands, UK
I noticed this on the Amazon site, I'm sure this is intended to be a direct dig at the new iPad Air?

6uff.png

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Although a bit misleading it's a clever dig. To be fair to Amazon although smaller than the Air the HDX and HDX 8.9 proportionally weigh about the same as the air. I don't care for the mojito os but the device itself is impressive.

Last edited:

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Nice troll and a good testament to Apple that competitors have to compare their products to Apple's.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
The Kindle is cheap and junky with maybe 1/10th the functionality of an Air. You get what you pay for.

AlexSykes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
East Midlands, UK
Nice troll and a good testament to Apple that competitors have to compare their products to Apple's.

The emphasis on the capitalisation of 'Air' is what gives it away, I've seen many different forms of advertisements that try and dig at Apple's products in such a way.

brberg

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
To be honest guys, this is the HDX tablet which does have an 8.9" display (not 7" as another poster suggested). Still a pretty impressive feat to keep it below 14 ounces. As you mentioned though, I'm sure the build quality is nowhere near the Air especially at the starting price of $329. Still for a lot of people on a budget this is a very tempting offer and will certainly eat into Apple's market share.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
As a marketing gimmick I think it's rather brilliant and funny myself.

After Amazon dumped support for the first Kindle Fire users and left us (yes I had one) out of the update we all waited for in favor of only supporting their second Fire customers a mere 4 or 5 months later, I gave mine away and decided that was unacceptable.

I would not consider myself a fanboi but sometimes, you really do get what you pay for. Even with all the flaws, Apple is still a better product IMHO.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
As Brberg says they are comparing the 8.9 HDX...which is not even out yet.

For $329 its a decent tablet especially if you use Amazon allot and take advantage of a Prime membership for 2 days shipping. It has a good screen that is slightly behind the Air with solid processing speed.

I look at an HDX at BB and while plastic it is not cheap feeling.

As good as an Air?...no...put I am glad it is out there... it helps drive innovation.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
As Brberg says they are comparing the 8.9 HDX...which is not even out yet.

For $329 its a decent tablet especially if you use Amazon allot and take advantage of a Prime membership for 2 days shipping. It has a good screen that is slightly behind the Air with solid processing speed.

I look at an HDX at BB and while plastic it is not cheap feeling.

As good as an Air?...no...put I am glad it is out there... it helps drive innovation.

When the rMini comes out at a slightly higher price, the 8.9 HDX is a goner.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
When the rMini comes out at a slightly higher price, the 8.9 HDX is a goner.

The rMini will be a great product but Doubtful that HDX will go away..Amazon will lower the price and there will be a market.

I assume then the Nexus 7 is a goner also.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Pretty impressed they got the HDX 8.9" under 400g (granted, through copious use of plastic). Alas, it's too limited for my taste. Wonder when the 9.7" iPads will reach the 350g mark?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.