Kindle for new iPad (Retina)

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by MacPro23, Mar 11, 2012.

1. MacPro23 macrumors member

Does anyone know if Amazon is planning on releasing an update to their Kindle app to take advantage of the Retina display on the new iPad?

2. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

They probably will, eventually, but the text in books will still look razor sharp on the new retina display without any modifications.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Shouldn't be necessary, the text in Kindle app should use Apple's text API, and will automatically scale to retina and look perfect.

Or so I expect.

4. ramkla007 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, it doesn't for some reason. Hoping for an update soon - most of my books are from kindle, not iBookstore.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I can't believe they wouldn't use a TT font, vector art, that auto scales... makes no sense.

I wanna see screenshot comparison of ibooks and kindle app?

6. mjo404 macrumors newbie

Kindle app was updated today to support Retina iPad.

7. rebelmac macrumors member

While the Kindle app was in fact updated to retina, unfortunately the navigation and buttons while reading a book have not been updated. So the search, go to, Font, sync and page slider buttons are all normal graphics. It looks ridiculous because the text is so crisp.

The new layout does look nice though.

8. MSampson macrumors member

I updated this kindle app with my new ipad 3. Most of my archived items (over 80) don't show up. I'm on the phone with kindle support and she can't seem to figure it out.
    did anyone else update with or without trouble accessing their library?

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Same exact same thing happened to me. I ended up unregistering the Kindle and pushing the books I wanted on it down from Amazon. Not sure why I couldn't seem them to pull them down.

10. Spacer macrumors member

If that happens, delete the App and reinstall. I had that, and when you reinstall the app you'll be able to see all your previous purchases.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No way to set a san serif font in Kindle app?

12. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I encountered this problem myself. I won't go into details about all the things I tried, but I will outline the solution:

First, deregister the kindle app on your iPad. Next, delete the app from your device (and from iTunes if you sync from your PC). Go to the app store and find the kindle app in your 'purchased apps' page, then select the cloud icon to reinstall. Run the newly installed app and reregister your iPad. Your books should magically appear.

13. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

That worked perfectly - thanks!

14. kallyq macrumors regular

Is anyone else finding that the Kindle app is actually kind of dim? I have to have brightness of that app nearly as high as it will go in order for it to appear white at all.

15. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

On the contrary. Mine is almost too bright. Are you sure you've selected the white background and not the sepia color?

16. kallyq macrumors regular

Yep. Hmmm...Thanks for the response. I think there might be something wrong with mine :(

17. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Is it dimmer than other apps?

18. rikbrown macrumors regular

Is anyone else finding the Kindle app /really/ laggy? Switching between pages having a very obvious lag (much worse so if page turn animations are on).