Kindle on your iPod Touch Too!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 4DThinker, Mar 4, 2009.

1. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'm a Kindle owner, and was pleased to discover that my Touch can also download and read the same books I bought for my Kindle. Any progress through a book on my Touch is updated in that same book when I return to it on my Kindle. I put a couple of photos and a bit more description on my Blog.

What do you think? Will you buy ebooks for now that you can read them on your Touch and don't even need a Kindle? PS: Any color illustrations show up in color on the iPhone/Touch!

4D

2. Jonesy85 macrumors member

I want to start buying kindle books for my ipod touch, but I don't have a wifi connection, so I'm worried I won't be able to put the books on my touch. Is it possible to put them on through the USB cable?

3. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

It is a great move by Amazon to put out this Application. Wether or not people buy kindle they can still get business to buy their books. They just need to make it easier to purchase books to your touch, BUT They lead you anyway to The Kindle Store, smack dab where they want you.

You think: 'oh that kindle thingie, well I'll check it out, wow looks neat, very thin and Apple like.... hmmm I am going to read alot of books but I don't want to strain my eyes ( I look at a computer all day ) AND FREE wireless download service?!'

Okay so not everyone will think that way :rolleyes: but this App does get you pointed the right way. I am about to be a Kindle 2 Owner and I am very excited, I haven't read that much lately but this definitely resparked my interest in reading again. I bought mine off ebay with Microsoft Cashback and paid $303 including shipping.

Lastly: IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN AN E-INK SCREEN OR KNOW WHAT IT IS Please do not shun it out all together, it is something to be experienced first hand. Having said that Amazon should think of putting Kindles in Stores for people to Experience for themselves. I know " In- Store " is not their business model, but it would definitely help sell more Kindles

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes color illustrations such as book covers show up in color.

And I will still use my Kindle.

5. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

It's clearly not going to replace my Kindle, but I love the ability to read a chapter or two via Touch on my lunch break, then pick up right where I left off when I pick up my Kindle after work.

Now I'm waiting for Amazon to release a Kindle app for my Samsung Instinct. Yes, I realise it may be a long wait. :(

6. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

I've read a couple of short stories on the Touch, but it's too small for me to want to read a novel on.
    I like paper in my hand anyway. Jes old fashioned.
    I do a lot of library books, and cheap used paperbacks. Most books I truly wouldn't want to spend $10 or more on. Books with really lasting re-read value, I'd just as soon own a good paper copy.

7. scrappledog macrumors member

I use the free program Stanza, change the settings to reverse so I'm reading white text on black screen -- that way I can read in bed at night without bothering my wife -- and all the books I have are free from the Gutenberg Project. Classics, mostly. I'm on Chapter 20 of The Jungle right now.

I only wish Stanza would include a highlight feature, though, so I could extract or highlight memorable lines for quick future reference.

8. realdeal1 macrumors newbie

realdeal1

i dont actually own the kindle but have been thinking about getting it bad from my research it seems like it would be a awesome device and worth the money

so the people that have purchased it how are you liking it so far any regrets it would be nice if people can say how they feel and give honest reviews [​IMG]

9. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

I love the new form factor. It is faster than the first version. Books are easy to read, although depending on how they were first converted it appears like some were very crappy scans with missing sections of some letters and such. Photo rendering is far nicer (16 shades of gray) than the original (4 shades). The little joystick is too small IMO but does work and gives greater control over the device than the thumb wheel on Kindle 1.0. You turn wireless off from the menu, which is easier than the mechanical switch on the back of the 1st gen. The Kindle 2 is a slight bit heavier than the Kindle 1, probably due to the larger battery and metal back. I like it very much. $359 seems like alot but you get that ubiquitous network connectivity included. The browser is almost painful to use, but will work pretty good if you go to mobile sites. There are pictures of my unboxing on my blog.

Feel free to ask me any more specific questions.

4D

10. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

This app has peaked my interest in reading while traveling. I think it will be much more convenient to read without fumbling for the book. There is just so much room in those pockets on the seat in an airplane.

11. Dr Tetromino macrumors newbie

I am certainly interested in it. I've never found the Kindle appealing due to its price, but the price for the books themselves are reasonable. Having an iPod Touch just may get me hooked.

12. lscha macrumors newbie

Doing this backwards....

I have had the kindle for a couple of years and couldn't live without it.

Amazon emailed the announcement that you could read your kindle books on the ipod touch. Wow! now I have to have it. I bought one and am expecting it today so I was checking out the forums to learn something about it before it comes. I love listening to audio books too so I should be able to enjoy this for reasons besides music.

I have never had an ipod so I have alot to learn. Can't wait!!

13. Ramsav24 macrumors member

I was intrigued when I saw the app but didn’t really have any time until last night to look into it. I think it’s a great idea! I really can’t afford a Kindel but I’d get one if I could. But as an alternative to reading books on my iPod instead of having to add another book to my already heavy backpack, it would be great. I like using Stanza while at school but wish that I could buy good book for it. Now, if only you could download books that already own without paying much for the digital copy- it would save me a lot of money.